Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Hay mix question

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
Have a question about types of hay that are ok for piggies. I've seen the answer here before but, of course when I need it, I can't find it again. I saw a listing on CL from a farm close to my house selling small bales of fescue, bluegrass, timothy, and brome mix hay for a very good price. Is this mix ok? The man I used to buy my Timothy hay bales from has decided not to sell anymore and I need to find someone new but can't find straight Timothy. Please let me know if this mix is ok.

Yup!!! Mixes of grass give the piggies a bit of variety!!! Blue Grass, Orchard Grass, Timothy Hay, and Bermuda but I am not exactly sure about the other "Brome" I have not heard of that but the best place to look it up is Guinea Lynx and if itis not listed there it is probably not that good, it may be like alfaffa.

There's no problem with the brome in that mix -- it's a grass hay, although not as common as the others.

The problem may lie in the fescue. For a number of years, most of the fescue in the US was contaminated with a fungus which had disastrous effects on many animals. Recently, there's been a big effort to eradicate that, but unless you know that your source of fescue is free of any endophytes, I'd either pull out all the fescue, or find some other source of hay.

Hmm...good to know! I will email the seller and mention that and see what they say. I have enough of the original hay to last quite a while (we have 4 rabbits too, so we stocked up for the winter when he told us he wasn't going to be selling anymore) and the pigs LOVE it (as do I; the smell is wonderful) so I'm not in a big hurry. Thanks for letting me know about the fescue though!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.