Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Hay in eye

Krelean

Cavy Slave
Hi
Anyone ever had a pig get hay in it's eye? Yesterday our pigs eye looked a bit ride on the skin and small. After further investigation, I noticed it looked cloudy like a blind eye can get. Today, I was wiping her eye with a warm cloth and saw a piece of brown hay grass on her eye. I was able to get it off and I am 100% sure it is hay because it is about 1/2 the size since the piece dried.
Her eye is totally cloudy, she doesn't seem to be in pain. Can I use saline drops in her eye? I have Gentomiocin (spelling) for another animal (cat), can I or should I put a drop in her eye? Please do not give advice on this if you have not personally experienced something like this-foreign matter in pig eye.

Thx

My vet recommended using eye irrigating solution (sterile) instead of saline because saline doesn't keep the eyes moist. Since the eye is cloudy, I'd strongly suggest you get her to the vet to see if there's damage to the eye that might require an antibiotic eye ointment so it doesn't get infected. Eyes are very fragile so I never take any chances with eye injuries. I recently had a guinea pig treated for a prolapsed eyelid which I suspect might have been caused by a bit of hay.

I had to get eye drops from the Vet...my lil piggy had something in her eye, to where her eye lid was a lil swollen. The vet told me it's best to put her on some eye drops to help clear it up...Here is what she gave me to put in my piggy's eye..OFLOXACIN OPTH SOL...I have to put one drop in her eye 2 to 3 times a day. She said u can use saline, but it will NOT help clear the eye up or stop it from gettin infected. U maybe can talk to your Vet and they can go ahead a give u some eye drops. Ever sense i started using the drops...Mocha's eye has cleared up and looks normal !!
I agree with Pinky...taking her to the vet would b a good idea...or even just talking to a Vet.
I would NOT recommend putting any other kind of eye solution in ur lil piggies eyes...even if it is for a cat...their eyes are very sensitive and drops that are not prescribed for piggies could just make things worse..!!

I plan to take her in tomorrow...

My vet recommended using eye irrigating solution (sterile) instead of saline because saline doesn't keep the eyes moist. Since the eye is cloudy, I'd strongly suggest you get her to the vet to see if there's damage to the eye that might require an antibiotic eye ointment so it doesn't get infected. Eyes are very fragile so I never take any chances with eye injuries. I recently had a guinea pig treated for a prolapsed eyelid which I suspect might have been caused by a bit of hay.

I don't want to bug the vet on Easter...my poor piggy!

Since it's cloudy, I think I'd call and see if the vet would call something in to a human pharmacy. Eye problems can go bad in a hurry, and you don't want the piggy to lose her eye.

Ditto the no saline recommendation. Artificial tears are a better choice, as they have a little bit of lubricant in them and will keep the eye more moist. I think they usually give one of the floxacin drugs for eye problems.

She got to go see the vet, big long strand of hay in her eye. Been on two eye drops for about 4 days now...doing much better.

She got to go see the vet, big long strand of hay in her eye. Been on two eye drops for about 4 days now...doing much better.

I had this problem with my piggy last month! I'm glad she's healing well, I was going to say my boy needed a corneal (sp?) scrape from the vet to fix the issue but his eye is finally back to normal and seems to be working 100%

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.