Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay, Hay, Hay!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
About 8 weeks ago I received an order from The Hay Experts (UK). I had ordered a tester selection of some of the hays they sell, as well as some Bunny Biscuits (but also good for guineas).

In the tester selection pack were 40g servings (approx. 1 handful) of all the following hays:

Timothy
Orchard Timothy
Meadow Mix
Southern Meadow
Orchard Grass
Field Fresh Meadow Hay
Field Fresh Timothy & Rye
Simply Grass

The two Field Fresh ones are what (broken link removed) use, and the rescue receives a donation for every bag of either Field Fresg hay sold by The Hay Experts .

Anyway, so that is 8 different types of hay. Spoilt pigs. Anyway!
They were all crowded around 2 bags mainly - Field Fresh Timothy & Rye and Southern Meadow, but this pic looks like they are parked in front of a bag each!

They might look relaxed but they all way too excited at having 8 new hays to try out. Lottie peed in all her excitement.

I had to tip Judy's godson out of this bag, as he got a little overexcited and decided to take The Plunge into The Timothy Tunnel. (Except it wasn't quite a tunnel...)

I do have more pics, and I will be sure to add them as soon as I can.

Now the gang are just down to Orchard Grass (from Thistle Cavies Rescue in Scotland) and Meadow Hay (from Tesco supermarket).

And which were the most popular hays? The top three - agreed by all four pigs (thank goodness they agree on something) - were:

Field Fresh Timothy & Rye;
Southern Meadow;
Timothy.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Wow!!! Thanks Laura! I have just ordered a tester selection too! I will report my findings (or Mary and Marble's favorites!) here!

Once again, your photos are fabulous - love them all!

Had a wee wander through the site too - some cool stuff. I quite liked the look of their rustic bowls, but they look like they're made from silver birch. Does anyone know if silver birch is OK for piggies to nibble? I don't remember it being on an OK list...

(broken link removed)

Thanks again, can't wait for the testers to arrive! (Love their 'free toy with every hay purchase' gag! (i.e. the paper bag!) lol

PS> YEAH - more pics!!!

Last edited:

Josephine

Cavy Slave
Do you know if they'll ship to the US? Lots of new stuff over there that I haven't seen here!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I love the pictures! That is very clever, I'll have to have my pigs taste test new hays, they would have a blast.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
That is two cute CCC. I wish we had something as the equivelent to that in the US.

Josephine-I doubt they ship to the US and if they do, shipping would be high. We have a good hay place here too, (broken link removed) they have the best kind of hay.

Josephine

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I've been there! Slept under the turret. I love KM.

I know I don't post here often, but I have been around quite some time ;)

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
We've tried the taster selection too. We tried out one bag at a time - we found the Southern Meadow, Simply Grass and Orchard Grass were the most popular. I'm going to order larger quantities when we get back from holiday. The pigs loved sleeping in the bags with the hay- as soon as one left the other one ran in.

Josephine

Cavy Slave
Got an email back from the company. Sadly, they don't ship to the US due to shipping costs. They did say that THEY get most of the products from the US, so all I have to do is hunt harder on the internet for some of the unique toys and such.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Wonderful pictures Laura! I'm glad they all agree. My pigs love to dive into hay "tunnels" too. Silly pigs.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Our sample bags of hay arrived, and we put your trial to the taste test with Mary and Marble. I hope you don't mind if I share this video of the experiment on your thread, Laura. I thought it was quite funny! Mary was in no doubt as to her favorite hay!!!

YouTube - Guinea Pig Hay Taste Test!

The bag in question contained 'Simply Grass'. It came out tops without a doubt!! Next in line was 'Just Timothy', with 'Orchard Timothy' coming in third place!

Thanks again Laura! The Simply Grass is the richest, dark green grass I have ever seen, and the large bag I ordered yesterday (along with some Tim. )rrived today! Happy piggies! :cheerful:

vics2004

Cavy Slave
I also got something similar from Bunny basics , had 1st and 2nd cut Timothy, meadow hay, alfafa hay, rough stuff and just grass

Did not seem interested in it today, will see tomorrow

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I've just recently found this thread and I took a look at the website. Don't you think it is a little pricey? The oxbow from sph supplies is cheaper than this. I need to buy in bulk, do you know if this website does or not? The hay looks yummy but the prices are a little off!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I spoke to them about buying in bulk. Because they only use paper packaging, they don't have bags bigger thatn the 'large' size - yet, but you can order up to 25kg without paying more for postage.

My pigs and I were so impressed by their 'simply grass', that I ordered 6 large bags. It's worth the cost for such green grass!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I spoke to them about buying in bulk. Because they only use paper packaging, they don't have bags bigger thatn the 'large' size - yet, but you can order up to 25kg without paying more for postage.

My pigs and I were so impressed by their 'simply grass', that I ordered 6 large bags. It's worth the cost for such green grass hay! :)

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
I am in LOVE with that long haired white and brown pig of yours LOL What a beauty! I want to hide her in my pocket and bring her home :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.