Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Hay good for Piggies

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
hey guys i have got lucine for my piggies cause we have horses so i thought that migtht be good so is it good for my piggies

no, lucerne hay is not grass hay, it's too high in calcium causing stones. Guineas pigs need grass hay.

source: (broken link removed)

ok well i guess my piggies wont have any hay at all then cause they dont just have grassy hay down here only if you buy a whole bale of hay our horses each is really dear cause of the floods

Oh no, guinea pigs should have grass hay. Can't you contact anyone like vets, shelters, or petshops, about this? There should be hay somewhere. At least give them fresh grass.

Where are you, Chikochikka? Nearest city, not your address.

Pigs have to have hay to keep their back teeth ground down. If you don't feed them hay, their molars will grow over their tongue, entrapping it, and the pig will starve to death.

Lucerne is fine for pups, and pregnant or nursing sows, but way too high in calcium for regular feeding throughout the pig's life.

A quick look at google shows that there are several types of hays available in Australia, so you should be able to find something suitable for your pigs. Try reading Australian horse, rabbit and guinea pig forums and see if anyone has posted about a good grass hay.

You should be able to at least order some offline somewhere.

hey guys i have found some grassy hay i am making it myself also i have bought some guinea pig food mix and it has lucerne chaff in it so yeah but i am only givining that to them once a week

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.