Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Hay Brands 101

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Which is best?
Why?
How do YOU view what best hay looks like?

Which is more available?
Best for the best price?

Do you feed any other hay along with Timothy Hay? (for adult pigs)

How do you serve the hay? I typically put Whistles handful in a ceramic dog dish. Keeps 90% of the hay off the floor.

1. KMS
2. It's a great price when ordering a decent quantity and it's not harsh like the bagged hay.
3. I like hay that feels fresh and is not rough and stiff with weeds. I also like that it comes in long strands - my boys love the longer pieces.

I feed Bluegrass not Timothy. My fiance is super allergic to hay but Bluegrass allows her to hold the piggies without sneezing fits :)

I give hay in the BBB utensil holder (it's perfect as a hay rack) in the kitchen area, along with a little pile for them to sit/lay in.

1. KMS (Kleenmama's) I do timothy
2. It's very green, fragrant, with long strands. It's also located in my state so I get it at a fair price via Fedex.
3. Green, long strands

KMS is more available to me, and I don't even need to leave the house to get it. Since it's in my home state, it is very cheap for the high quality. I don't serve anything but 2nd cut timothy.

To serve hay, I use a soap holder for the bathroom with spaces large enough for them to actually grab it. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's a metal basket thing. The one in the bottom right corner. (broken link removed)

I'm going to try out a bent grid once I get more piggies, so I can fit larger amounts of hay for the increased population.

I currentally feed Sun Seed Spring Harvest timothy hay.
I used to feed Kaytee, but the stiff sticks made the hay hard to work with when putting it into his bowel.
The Sun Seed is cut up in smaller pieces and fit perfectly in his bowl.

Any comments on the brand I am currently feeding him?

To serve hay, I use a soap holder for the bathroom with spaces large enough for them to actually grab it. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's a metal basket thing. The one in the bottom right corner. (broken link removed)

I'm going to try out a bent grid once I get more piggies, so I can fit larger amounts of hay for the increased population.

Oh...very interesting. I like that idea for holding hay.

Isn't Florida big with horse racing? You could contact local stables to see where they get their hay. You might have a local source for fresh hay. Just make sure it doesn't have alfalfa mixed in. Here in IL, alfalfa is grown by a lot of farmers so most of the hay here is mixed.

Isn't Florida big with horse racing? You could contact local stables to see where they get their hay. You might have a local source for fresh hay. Just make sure it doesn't have alfalfa mixed in. Here in IL, alfalfa is grown by a lot of farmers so most of the hay here is mixed.

I have only 1 guinea pig
to purchase from a feed store wouldn't save me money.
My horses are fed TnA and Coastal hay, so buying just 1 bale of Timothy won't save me money, the whole bale will go bad by the 3rd or 4th flake in. and most of my bales have 7-8 flakes.

I have only 1 guinea pig
to purchase from a feed store wouldn't save me money.
My horses are fed TnA and Coastal hay, so buying just 1 bale of Timothy won't save me money, the whole bale will go bad by the 3rd or 4th flake in. and most of my bales have 7-8 flakes.

What do you pay per bale? Bales go for about $6 to $10 here. You could find other guinea pig owners and split the bale or donate some of it to your local shelter. It might still be a lot cheaper than buying bagged hay. I separate my boxed hay into extra large paper yard waste bags and keep it in my lower level. It has good ventilation so it doesn't go bad. If you buy KM or Oxbow boxed hay, you'll probably end up paying much more than you will for a fresh bale. You'd also have the luxury of offering a lot of hay to your guinea pig. I put mounds in my cages and they lay and roll in it. They LOVE it.

It'll be about the same price that I pay for Whistles hay. I don't personally know anyone else in my area with guinea pigs and despite all the pros I gave hubs about donating stuff, he simply will NOT donate animal or people food.:eye-poppi
When he is on his usual schedule of feeding, he really does not eat that much hay. When we run out of veggies, he eats ALOT of hay.
Also if I put alot of hay in his cage he will sit onto of it and pee all over the hay. So whatever he doesn't it is also wasted :'(
Trust me, being a horse owner my 1st look into Whistles' hay was the feed store that I buy the horses' stuff. They are the only place in town that has the best hay for your buck.

I get local hay from a farmer. You know that hay stored properly keeps its nutritional content for up to 2 years? And if the hay is a standard bail of 50lbs then your single guinea pig SHOULD eat at least 50lbs in a year(thats about 4lbs a month). My 4 boys eat 3-4 65lb bales of hay a year but with the bad growing season here the hay has been a bit more stiff and brown then usual so there is some waste.

I only pay $3 per 65lb bale. If you are paying 6-10 per you might want to shop around!

coastal if i remember right is a grass hay...you could bring home a few flakes home at a time from where ever you keep your horses for your piggy

I get local hay from a farmer. You know that hay stored properly keeps its nutritional content for up to 2 years? And if the hay is a standard bail of 50lbs then your single guinea pig SHOULD eat at least 50lbs in a year(thats about 4lbs a month). My 4 boys eat 3-4 65lb bales of hay a year but with the bad growing season here the hay has been a bit more stiff and brown then usual so there is some waste.

I only pay $3 per 65lb bale. If you are paying 6-10 per you might want to shop around!

If I paid $3 I wouldn't mind buying a bale!!!
But I believe a Timothy bale runs $8

coastal if i remember right is a grass hay...you could bring home a few flakes home at a time from where ever you keep your horses for your piggy

I would, but I HATE how easily coastal hay falls apart. So dealing with it just to feed my horses gets on my nerves. The only reason they eat coastal is because we don't have quality grazing grass for them.

You're lucky you can even get timothy hay. The hay here is mixed with alfalfa and poor quality. IL is a big alfalfa state, unfortunately. I'd pay more than $10 if I could get quality bales locally. Price and types of hay varies state by state.

My hay is not just timothy hay either. The farmer I buy it from said its orchard/timothy mixed so it can have some hard pokey pieces and some flattened dried bugs, some random leaves and such but its such a good price and I buy 1 year supply at once so I don't have to mess with it because I live in the middle of no where (and don't own a vehicle) and the closest petstore is 60 miles away one way! Its not the best hay but its what I can afford. I bought a small package of oxbow for them as a christmas treat (blue grass) and they wouldn't touch it at ALL! So my hay must be at least a little good. Also in the summer I supplement with fresh grass from the field outside my apt. I build up their tollerance to the grass over the spring and by full summer thats pretty much all they are eating is fresh grass I hand cut every morning.

I plan on getting hay from a local farmer once Hay season starts. One of them had a 90 Timothy 10 Clover ratio. I live in a rural farming area so that would be the best deal for me. I've seen 40lb bales go for $3 on kijiji. I hope I get that job at the vet clinic, then it will be unlimited hay forever lol. (that and I need a job...but the whole working for a livestock vet has it's Piggy perks rofl)

My hay is not just timothy hay either. The farmer I buy it from said its orchard/timothy mixed so it can have some hard pokey pieces and some flattened dried bugs, some random leaves and such but its such a good price and I buy 1 year supply at once so I don't have to mess with it because I live in the middle of no where (and don't own a vehicle) and the closest petstore is 60 miles away one way! Its not the best hay but its what I can afford. I bought a small package of oxbow for them as a christmas treat (blue grass) and they wouldn't touch it at ALL! So my hay must be at least a little good. Also in the summer I supplement with fresh grass from the field outside my apt. I build up their tollerance to the grass over the spring and by full summer thats pretty much all they are eating is fresh grass I hand cut every morning.

I've searched locally for a long time for good hay around here. I bought two bales from two farmers. One was nice but loaded with alfalfa. He said if there was any in there, it would be minimal and that he has a lot of rabbit owners who buy from him. I let my guinea pigs sample it and they loved it but I didn't continue to feed it to them with the alfalfa in it. It really bothered me that people who bought it were feeding their rabbits all that alfalfa without knowing it. I took it to my local animal control and told them it was mainly alfalfa and they were going to feed it to the bunnies they get in. They knew the difference. The other bale I bought was bluegrass but it was really bad. My guinea pigs wouldn't touch it. I have a Medinah Black Troop horse barn right around the corner from me. They use the local farmers to feed their horses.

So back to brands, those who purchase from pet stores, what do you find to be the best for your buck?

Mr whistles. You already got your answer. But I'll rewrite what Seespotsit wrote and then some. 90% of pet store hay brands are crap and should not be feed.

Best is local, if its a good quality and grown responsibily (ie organic).

If you would rather spend more you SHOULD buy from Kleenmama's she has the best and its actually a pretty good price including the shipping.

If you want to buy locally in a store buy Oxbow and buy it from a petstore that does not sell live animals. Buy the biggest size you can. If possibly see how much it would cost to get oxbows special order 50lb box. It will really save you a ton in the long run.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.