Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Hay allergy/fungus issue?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, but it seemed the most appropriate.

Anyway, since I bought my lovely big bag of fresh hay instead of the small bag you'd buy in a pet store, I've been experiencing weird skin problems. I had a phone call with an on-call doctor about it, who suspects it COULD be https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/sporotrichosis. Basically a skin problem caused by fungus in hay.

The problem is basically, severe itching confined to the calves, hands and arms (so far), followed by white raised lumps surrounded by red, which eventually turn in to sores and look open, like a cut. They take a while to heal, and the affected area is usually quite painful. I'm basically wondering if anyone's had this before, or has experience with hay fungus, knows how to tell if the hay has a fungus, or know what this is, if it isn't sporotrchosis. I always wear gloves to handle the hay (I get bad hayfever and don't want to accidentally touch my eyes or nose after handling it and set it off).

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Just bumping since the forum seems more active now, any insight's appreciated because the itching and the sores are driving me mad!

TheDNDWizard

Cavy Slave
I have never personally had this issue before but I have heard of it. I would just try using a different brand of hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.