Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay-Alfalfa or Timothy

Zombie'sMom

Cavy Slave
Hi,
My pig is now 6 months old, I have read some places that you should switch from alfalfa to timothy hay at 6 months and some site have said 1 year, so I am looking for some advice on this.

Thank you,
Michelle

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
You could feed alfalfa longer if you want. Personally I would get both alfalfa and timothy hays and mix the two. That way your GP gets to choose and it makes the switch easier. I will free offer alfalfa until about a year old but at 8 months make sure they access to timothy or some other grass hay as well.

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
I will free offer alfalfa until about a year old but at 8 months make sure they access to timothy or some other grass hay as well.

So then it'd be best to provide unlimited alfalfa AND Bermuda to mine? Gosh at the price and quantity they have it at Wal-Mart that could get expensive quick as much as my girls like hay. Guess I need to find a feed store post haste, eh? Right now we have about 2/3 Bermuda and 1/3 alfalfa in the hay loft that Dave built onto their cage. I meant to post and ask what quantity of alfalfa they were supposed to have after we finally found it at Wal-Mart, just let it slip my mind until I read this post.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Just to clarify- all pigs no matter the age should be getting some type of grass hay on an unlimited daily basis.

Alfalfa can be mixed in with young pigs grass hay until the age of 6-8 months.