Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds have to find this rather amusing

Alana Tudhope

Cavy Slave
No matter what noises we make in the flat JoJo is purring at it.. whether it be the clink of a teaspoon against the cup, the click of a lighter,, the tv beeping to turn on or off, the minute she hears us in the morning saying hello to her,

i went out without saying goodbye yesterday and she sat on the floor and squeaked real loud till my partner picked her up and cuddled her..

some of these noises are rather amusing lol..

LOL Yeah as soon as I was up this morning George was popcorning and squeeling at me... I think being away from Charlie has helped him. Charlie chattered at me a little like "really Mommy it's early, lets turn the light back out..... oh wait better yet, feed the piggies!" lol

My senior female purrs/growls anytime I put snacks in the cage. I find their vocalizations really interesting.

Nutmeg wheeks so loud!! I swear I saw her take a deep breath before letting out the loudest wheek known to man today!

I love how my girl Cuddles:heart: is ALWAYS the one to "wheek at me" to let me know when they are getting low or are out of a food item...it is sooooo cute ! Especially if it is one of their favorite grass hays ( Bermuda or Blue grass from KM's). They normally get two different ( sometimes three !) types of hay, 24/7. Cuddles is a "Nervous Nellie" for the most part, and it takes her awhile to relax, and get accustomed to anything new. Whenever she hears a "new" noise in our fairly "new" home ( just moved here in August) she will "rumble". It's so adorable. Since I have bonded with her, it doesn't take me long to settle her back down again. She is a very expressive, highly alert and aware kind of piggie. It makes her hard to figure out, but at the same time, more interesting to learn about. She is a princess with an attitude though, and I do so love her for it !!lol

My other girl Buttercup:heart: is not very vocal, but when she gets excited enough by Cuddles "wheeking meal reminder" I can see her sweet cheeks go in and out, like she is whistling ! It is so cute !! Buttercup easily relaxes once settled on my lap, and often falls alseep cuddled in my arms, with her eyes closed. She will sometimes be so affectionate by giving me "neck and cheek Nuzzles"....she is very loving and sweet, and really trusts me now.

Our first piggy Jenny used to make noise. Then we got Molly. Jenny is the more dominant but Molly now makes the sounds.

My husband asked one time if I ever heard them do the bird sound which puzzled me because I had never heard this.

I woke one morning and finally heard it. It truly sounded like a bird in our livingroom. It was just Molly. I grabbed the camera in the dark and recorded a bit of it to show a friend at work whom I got the girls from. She had never heard anything like it before.

Have yours made that sound?

I have one who chirps all the time -- she's the non-wheeker. Occasionally the other one sings bass while Ruffles is chirping, sort of a low, rhythmic whuffing sound that's nothing at all like the chirp. I don't have any kind of audio recorder, or I'd post a duet.

My Roger loved the beeping noise at the vet hospital. Everytime it beeped he would chortle back at it. He also loves emergency sirens for some odd reason. He is our "nervous nelly" but when he hears sirens he is all about investiagating and talking back to it! Our new guy, Sheldon hasn't made any noises yet. I'm hoping that once quarintine is over and he's with the other guys that will all change. He did purr when I scratched his rump.

Cuddles use to "rumble" at all the new unfamilar noises at our new place, like when the microwave ( Thank God for Microwaves, I use mine A LOT for our veggies) would beep, OR when the heat/central air condit. would come on, OR to remind me, that the t.v. was too loud. ( I don't hear so well, so I tend to keep it louder than most) All of which I find really adorable !

Buttercup is a fairly easy going type of piggie...she hardly ever "rumbles" at anything, other than when she is"rumblestrutting" at Cuddles, trying to put her in her place. Buttercup is my dominant piggie.

They have a temporary cage set up at floor time, which is about 3 ft by 6ft, and they are fed up and anxious for Mom to be done re-doing their home! The other night I had them on our couch ( a love-seat) for the several hours (it's similar to a small 2ft by 4ft cage) and they were fighting and quarrelling a lot, mounting, rumble-strutting,squeaking, the works. My girls are a bit spoiled in having a big cage I am afraid ! I hope to be DONE tonight:melodrama...am nearly there.

My pigs wheek at anything they think is food - the sound of the chopping board on the bench, knives chopping, fridge opening, bags in the fridge being rustled (actually, if you screw up paper they think it's food too!) they wheek like crazy - everyone in my family laughs when they do it, they think I'm not feeding them enough! When their pellet bowl is empty they chew on the side of it so it makes a loud chinking noise (like they think it's a bell or a siren) to let me know it's finished and that I should fill it back up for them. I think they would continue eating pellets forever if I let them... Which I don't - eat hay piggies, it costs Mummy less money and it's good for your tummy :)

My pigs wheek at anything they think is food - the sound of the chopping board on the bench, knives chopping, fridge opening, bags in the fridge being rustled (actually, if you screw up paper they think it's food too!) they wheek like crazy - everyone in my family laughs when they do it, they think I'm not feeding them enough! When their pellet bowl is empty they chew on the side of it so it makes a loud chinking noise (like they think it's a bell or a siren) to let me know it's finished and that I should fill it back up for them. I think they would continue eating pellets forever if I let them... Which I don't - eat hay piggies, it costs Mummy less money and it's good for your tummy :)

Hey that last sentence you posted ( I highlighted in Bold print) rhymes ! Very very cute and funny ! LOL.

You know what is strange ? My husband and I share the responsibility of caring for our girls, and he is in charge of serving their breakfast, and I serve them their dinner. Whenever he serves them, they never wheek ! When I serve them they wheek up a storm, and Buttercup even "whistled" to me tonight ! I had him do "dinner" one night to see if they would wheek then. They didn't ! Isn't that weird ? They can see us both easily in the kitchen...

I love it when they "ask" for things or "remind" us of things...it really touches this old Mother's heart...I love it ! Cuddles is my "reminder" ....she will tell me if the hay is running low, or their pellets...or if dinner is taking too long....hysterical, isn't it ?!:D

And they aren't shy in letting you know either! Those who have never owned piggies don't realise how much personality these guys actually have! They're funny little critters and kathlaaron, you're right, they are heart warming :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.