Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior have an eager new piggy

guinnymom23

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So, we just got Fifi on Saturday, she's in her own cage for quarantine, but I have it right beside the girls' cage. Well, two days ago and saw and heard her wheeking and trying to climb the side of the cage that she can see the other girls...Molly, who is piggy #3, went to her and they started nose-kissing through the cages!! :love: I tried getting a pic, but of course by the time I grabbed a camera, they had finished...then I noticed yesterday that Nibbles is going up and peeking at Fifi...they also like to sleep/lie on that side of the cage too...I wish I could put them together for play time but I KNOW I have to wait to make sure there's nothing wrong. :eek:

Also...I was holding Fifi yesterday and noticed she has a small black growth on her belly and haven't seen any nipples yet...think she may be a he? She's about 10 weeks old, wouldn't those be visible? :?:

Quarantine needs to be done in separate rooms, not just in a separate cage. Airborne illnesses are one of the worries. At this point I would forego any further "quarantine" and introduce them. This is the same advice I have received from both of the rescues I have volunteered with regarding guinea pigs and quarantine: once they have been in contact, quarantine is a moot point.

Presence of nipples is not an indication of sex, as both boars and sows have nipples.

See the following link for sexing advice, and feel free to post clear pictures of your pig if you aren't sure: Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

Edit: For advice on proper quarantine, see the following: https://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.