Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores Hating myself right now!!!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Well I have a problem then becouse all the Petstores around me sell live pets and I cant pay shipping cost. So what does a person do then.

Shipping costs isn't that much in general.. Some sites have flat fees and you don't pay tax or gas to the store. It's really more convenient to order at once online with a few clicks.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They draw in the lookie loos (who come to look at the live animals) and make tons of money in the impulse buys of said live animals. Those buyers repeatedly come in after buying cage and supplies. They have to come back to buy more food and bedding, etc.

Do pet stores really make all that much money on the pets they sell? I think most people probably go in there for supplies, etc.

It seems like if say, Petsmart stopped selling live animals they really couldn't lose all that much money.

I always have mixed feelings about Petsmart. When I was a dog foster Mom we had some great adoption events there. Some of my dogs found fantastic forever homes.

Also I know that they use positive reinforcement in their dog training, which I am a huge advocate for. I've seen so many wonderful results on dogs when this method of training in used.

But then I see the way they keep their animals and it is cruel and upsetting. The one closest to me has cleaned up its act to a degree, but is still not all that great.

Penny

Cavy Slave
I buy my pig items at blue seal they sell oxbow and sweat meadow. My boys get oxbow and they have bedding for litter boxes and all the products that are needed and they don't sell pets. Also Agway is where I get my dog and cat food and treats and they haven't sold any pets either.

Pulsepoint129

Cavy Slave
There are a couple of Agways here in Connecticut that sell hay and guinea pig pellets, though it may not be the case at all Agways.

rdoyle

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Louisiana has been hit hard right this min most of all of the Mom and Pop pet store are gone. We have some but they all sell pets. I live in Baton Rouge. So if anyone can tell me If they know of a place that does not sell pets that would be great. Right know it is only my husband is working so no I cant deal with shipping. At KM for hay and pettes it would have been over or close to 100 I just dont have that kind of money right this min. I also have a 2 year old son.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
Have you compared the prices in the stores to the prices online? I have all the same stores near me that everyone else in the US has, and it costs MORE to buy it in the store than it costs to buy it online + shipping. Sometimes you really have to put some time into browsing around, and checking for flat rate shipping deals and deals around buying in bulk. I've found a few places where shipping is free above a certain amount, so I just order a ton at once. Once you order more at once you are almost always saving TONS over buying one of those small Oxbow bags at Petsmart every few weeks...

In terms of total guinea pig ownership costs, by the end of the year shipping makes up a tiny fraction of that. I don't like to pry into personal finances, I'm not exactly in the best of situations right now myself (I've been laid off 3 times each time because I was the newest hire and no other reason), but shipping costs is not going to be the logical thing to break you. The natural question that comes to mind is one people are likely to be offended by, so just take it as a general thing...How can someone afford veggies and the possibility of vet care if the tiny fraction that is shipping cost is too much?

I see this come up on here a lot, so this isn't directed at anyone specific in THIS thread...but; I suspect most people who post this haven't really looked. They just find it more convenient to stop by the pet store and maybe looked online at one site and saw the shipping as a handy line to toss out to keep doing what is easiest for them. It's the only way the frequency of this excuse, and the sheer obvious fallacy behind it as legitimate makes any sense.

utsarah

Cavy Slave
One huge advantage to buying online is the food is delivered right to my door. I work outside the home 3 days a week and work from home the rest of the week. I also have a two year old. It is hard enough to find time to go to the grocery store, etc. Anytime I have to take my daughter into a store I have to get her in a cart, etc. So much less stress ordering online.

At least shopping online I can do ANYTIME.

If Kleenmamma's were closer I'd surely order from there. But I cannot beat the price on hay and pellets from Dr Fosters and Smith. You pay a flat rate for shipping. I've ordered from them for years without any problems.

Plus they also carry supplies for all types of animals, not just small animals. I can get my bird's pellets on there as well.

I didn't think that the store could be making that much on animals. Several years ago when I was looking in the birds at Petsmart due to bad conditions my husband and I saw a canary there with an eye missing. It was quite obvious that his cage mate was bullying him and that was how the eye was lost. It was obvious from the few minutes we observed.

I called over a rep and pointed out the little canary. They said they'd "take care of it." Well two days later I went back in to check on the canary and it was still in the cage and sitting in its food dish, obviously sick.

I got really upset and asked for a manager. They removed the bird. When I asked what would happen to the canary they said the vet at Banfield would look at it. I know that the Banfield vet was not an avian vet, but it was better than nothing.

I was telling someone who used to work at Petco this story and they told me that they probably euthanized the bird in lieu of treating it because of "profit loss." I called the next day and asked what happened to the canary. They said they wouldn't discuss with me. I begged them to please let me take the canary home, I would even pay for it, just so I could get it to a vet. The person at Petsmart said they don't "discuss" situations like this with customers.

I was so upset. I feel like I should have just bought the bird to begin with to get him vet care. I feel like I sealed his fate by pointing out his medical condition. My husband had to assure me that I wasn't to blame. That was about 4 years ago and I still think about that canary and have his picture on my photobucket account.

I guess if they did euthanize him that may be better than being bullied to death by his cage mate. But still, he deserved so much better. We would have loved him, even if only to make him comfortable in his final days.

I took this picture with my mobile phone. You can see his eye missing. He was all puffed up, another sign of illness. That poor little bird. And he is one of thousands.:sad:
canary.jpg

Simonmaal

Cavy Slave
I know this thread was last active a month ago, but I just want to comment that the canary story made me feel physically sick :(

But thanks for sharing it because it demonstrates just how these places view the animals they sell. How can they be so callous and treat animals as non-feeling profit generators? I'm sitting in the room with my 5 boys now and shuddering with unease at how they could have ended up in that kind of situation. In fact, I have no idea how they started their lives or where they originated so they may have been mistreated badly (at least one of my boys was neglected: he was in dreadful condition when I took him in).

I buy online for convenience but sometimes used to call at Pets at Home (a British equivalent of the type of stores you are discussing) when I ran out of supplies and got really desperate. Your post, and the comments of others, has reminded me of why I should never again spend money at places like that. Sometimes we need a reminder of the effects of our actions.

Also, I currently have 1 boar who currently lives alone (although in a room with the others) and this thread has inspired me to find him a buddy from a rescue. I go away in 3 weeks time and when I get back, I'm trying it.

So my mind is made up forever now, and credit to those who commented to that effect in this thread. Thank you.

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
I use Paypal and it is wonderful! For those who want a pre-paid debit/credit card, there is also something called a "Green Dot" card that can be used just like a debit card, and you can put money on it anytime you need to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.