Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Has anyone bought from the cage store?

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have a ramp from the cage store?

(broken link removed)

Recently I've been mulling over my cage design and am unhappy with the ramp I made. It's 2 bent grids tied together, so it's about 28" long and 7.5" wide.

I think it takes up too much floor space by being so wide. I know I could probably just modify the ramp I have and after some frustration make it the same specs as the store bought ramp...But the store one looks so nice, not like the mess I'd probably end up with.

I'm pretty sure my piggies don't care what their ramp looks like, but I want it to look nice...Is it worth it to buy?

Center it, rather than putting it against the side of the cage. It's obviously very sturdy so it wouldn't need to be held against the side like mine does :p
Then they can run around it and such. Although, I keep my ramp on a brick so it's a bit elevated not much though, and the girls have no issues with running around it during their laps.

EDIT: By the way, my ramp is not the one from the store, I made it with coro and bent grids, but it's not nearly as strong as that one. It's pretty large too.

It's not exactly centered, but it is off the side of the cage. I wanted to make sure they had room to run laps with out too many obsticles. Maybe I'm being neurotic, there's something about it I just don't like...

[GuineaPigCages.com] Has anyone bought from the cage store?

Your cage looks great!

Your cage looks great!

Thanks lissie. Like I said, I can be neurotic and could probably be diagnosed with OCD. I can never just leave things be and once I get an idea in my head it's almost impossible to get it out...

I will keep mulling over it until I am satified it can either stay or needs to go. I was just hoping someone could tell me what they think of their store bought ramp and their opinion on whether it is worth it or not.

In my opinion, wider ramps are better. Pigs can pass each other easier. But that's just me, since I have boars.

I agree with lissie, wider ramps are better. My pigs bickered for the longest time over their second level until I widened the ramp; now, if one pig wants down while another wants up they can avoid each other and go about their merry ways.

Good observations y'all. I didn't really think of that.

The mulling continues, but for now the ramp stays... :sarcastic

I made this ramp in the past, and it doesn't use up any floor space. In fact, I've made multiple overhangs like the bottom level of the ramp throughout the cage now for them to hide under.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/63636/

i wouldnt buy that one. its overpriced and i would think the carpet would get gross. you could uesily make somthing just like it with coroplast

I made this ramp in the past, and it doesn't use up any floor space. In fact, I've made multiple overhangs like the bottom level of the ramp throughout the cage now for them to hide under.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/63636/
I put a shelf just like that in my cage a few weeks ago. They use it as a step to get into the cat box I'm using as their kitchen. I've been pondering using it as the start of a ramp if I build a loft, so I'm glad to see that it worked for you.

@SurfingPigs, I like your ramp. I had something similar, it's a tunnel in the middle leading up to two ramps. The pigs also use the tunnel as a hidey.

The middle part of my ramp is zip tied to the grids in the back, kinda like the ramp below. The top parts are longer and just rest on the bottom one. All the ramp parts can be lifted up and clip to the cage while cleaning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.