Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids Hard to put together.

coojoe135

Cavy Slave
Are the grids for around the cage hard to put together? I am recently ordering one and I was wondering if I should have somebody else put together because I am not good with alot of pieces. lol

Marshalls5

Cavy Slave
No, they are so easy to put together. They just snap right together. Good luck building!!

ryounce

Cavy Slave
They are a breeze I wouldn't use the connectors that come with them just zip tie them. It makes them more stable.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
I would zip tie them. I am sure any "normal" person would find these cubes to be a breeze. I am actually very crafty/artistic so I am used to assembling things. However, I lack weird types of coordination and I am cube-connector challenged. I break them in seconds........... And then people look at me like I am nuts because it is supposed to be REALLY easy. Hopefully I am one of a kind in this because it is very unfortunate. Haha!

You should be able to assemble it yourself, especially with zip ties! :)

coojoe135

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I am excited. I have informed Sue that my piggy is pregnant. I m hoping it can get here before she gives birth. :)

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
I turned out to be totally "connector impaired", so my cages are zip-tied together. Apart from that, they're easy to assemble, and if you're getting one of Sue's kits, then it will be especially easy because the Coroplast is pre-scored and pre-cut, so half the work is already done for you.

Lizbeth

Cavy Slave
We have video of me and my roommate putting the cage together sans-zipties. There is a lot of cursing on the tape, particularly when we realize we have to move the cage out from the middle of the floor after we've *finally* gotten all the connectors to cooperate.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
My cage is very easy to build! I change it a lot :D

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I am connector impaired (like ferndalezoo) so My cage is zippy tied!

twilightwheek

Cavy Slave
I have both zipties and connectors. Though sometimes I feel like the connectors are out to get me. They seldom co-operate.

Depending on how you ziptie it you can easily fold the grids down for travel. That plus the fleece bedding makes things a snap, especially for a pig like mine who's constantly traveling to the vet to be boarded. Cavy cage on the go! :)

The great thing about Sue's cages is they are so versatile. I have plans of making Tabytha Sue's bigger once she gets a cagemate in a few months, and I know it will be easy to do with the pre-scored coroplast and grids. You can make virtually any cage you want!

Have fun and good luck with the babies!

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
My cage is zip ties and connectors aswell :).

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
Are the grids for around the cage hard to put together? I am recently ordering one and I was wondering if I should have somebody else put together because I am not good with alot of pieces. lol
No, they weren't. We got our first GP at Christmas. Pet store cage, I followed all the directions they gave me, never having had a GP before. He lived 9 days. I was devastated because I did every thing exactly like they told us too. When we got our second GP, I read everything I could online and found out about fleece instead of litter and last night found out about the grid system. I read until 1 am this morning. I went out and got Flower a set today in town. I had an old desk that I put a shower curtain on and then set up his grid 2x4 and put the old cage top in for him to use as his "eating station". The whole area is fleeced. Flower has been fine, but not exactly what I would call happy. He is very loving, but in the daytime he just sits and stares. He eats great and has been gaining weight and shows no signs of sickness other than he just seems really bored. Two minutes after we moved him to his new cage, he popcorned for us for the first time. He is so much happier. He's always chirped for us and loved on the kids, but now I feel like he's not bored any more. It took me a while to set up the area because I had to put together the towels and flannel and the grids. But they were super easy to put together. I am going to tie the ones for the walls together I think to make it sturdier, but I also put on a roof, that I want to be able to remove easily so those I will probably keep the grid stuff on. So long story short... LOL Flower is so much happier. I am happier, because in two short days I got rid of the shredded pulped paper stuff the pet store sold me that was costing me and arm and a leg and had to be changed every other day and went to fleece. And got rid of that tiny cage and he has a nice big run now to play in and my daughter is happier because well who isn't happy when their GP is happy?

I will be reading the forums for more of your great advice. Flower is a sweet addition to our family and I want nothing more than to see him live a long and happy life.

Now you want to know the sad part? The pet store cage cost me $70. (It had food and shredded bedding, etc). The grids, shower curtain, fleece cost me $30...

ppqppq

Cavy Slave
My 10 year old and 13 year old built our latest cages. A 2x4 for the girl and a 2x7 with a petstore cage addon for the 2 boys.

Sarah84

Cavy Slave
I just put my C&C together that I got from Sue. SUPER EASY!!! I did find though that if you use both Zip ties and connectors that you have to put the connectors on first, then zip tie. LOL otherwise your grids will be to close together for the connectors to work. hee hee! I used both for added security. :)

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
I had problems with mine but I think that is because I had some older ones(found them in the basement and it was like Christmas! I didn't have to go looking for them lol!) Also I don't have good strength in my hands. I also could just be a wimp:sarcastic
Zip ties are a nice option though! When I build my second level it will probably be zip tied together!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.