Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet happy-- I think I found a good vet (in Vancouver)

skritters

Cavy Slave
I've been looking for a good cavy-savvy vet in Vancouver, and I think I found one: Dr. Anderson at Anderson Animal Hospital. He specializes in small pets and exotics! Their website said to feel free to call and ask about his experience with the type of pet you have, and the woman at reception (who was SO nice) said that he's seen so many guinea pigs, he sees them every week, and has done everything from the basic checkup to surgery on them. She said he is constantly doing seminars and upgrades to his education and practice, and that treating gps is a big part of that.

My girls, as far as I know, are just fine, but I set an appointment next week because I'd like to see him and have him on file in case there ever is a crisis. I'm really looking forward to meeting him.

She said a regular checkup is $75 (is that normal?) but because he's celebrating 30 years in practice they're having a special right now, so it's only $30. Perfect for an initial meeting.

I have to catch 2 buses to get there, so I'll have to bundle my girls up. And really, in Vancouver, you have to catch 2 buses to get anywhere.

I'll update once I've seen him, so that other people in the area know either way!

Hi Skritters, that is good to know, I'm in North Van. Let us know how he is. I think $75 is a bit expensive though - is that for both pigs or just one. Our dog vet charges $45 for a consultation.

Hmm. It's $75 per pig, per visit. This time I'll be paying $30 per pig, although I'm taking them in at the same time. Is the $75 that much out of the ballpark? I've just been going through so many websites and reading reviews on yelp and so many just seem geared towards dogs and cats. This guy also works with rescues. I'll give him a try, anyway!

I pay $60 for a visit, and it's not an exotic vet. The only exotic vet near me requires a referral from a local vet, so I have to pay the $60 and then the exotic vet fee if one of mine needs anything other than just the basics.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.