Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Hanging out in the litter box

Murk21

Cavy Slave
A friend gave me a plastic corner litter tray for my 2x4 C&C cage and I decided to try using it with my 2 piggies. I’m now using fleece and still had a bag of Carefresh so I’m using the Carefresh in the litter box. Although they don’t use it exclusively, the litter box area definitely gets used a ton. I put it in the corner where their fleece forest is (the strips are high enough that they don’t touch the litter) and they piggies love to hang out there. I’m happy that they like to use the little box, but don’t like the fact that the Carefresh gets so soiled so fast and then they hang out in the soiled litter. I remove the soiled litter at least twice a day or more when I can, but it just makes me wonder if it’s good for them to sit it the soiled Carefresh.

Is there a better litter to use?

Should I move the fleece forest to a different corner or would that just become the “litter corner”?

Thanks!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

if you move the fleece forest they will probably not use the box. i have seen some suggestions about this lately. have you thought of using pee pads instead? basically fleece liner but smaller. i have heard people put hay on there carefree or even fleece over the care free. here are a few suggestions for you. hope it helps.
:D

I would measure the inside of the corner box and make a mini fleece liner for it. or you could cut a pee pad in half on the diagonal and have two to swap out. just hand stitch the open side closed. Hope this helps :) My girls use their corner cozies as potty cups so I know how you feel. I'm always dumping out the cozies thru out the day. I keep three in with them both. that way there is always one thats mostly poo free lol

I use yesterdays news cat litter its all natural, non toxic waaaaayyyyy cheaper than care fresh and when they pee it clumps so you can spot clean it better Anne it last longer.it isn't as soft but I buy the softer texture version. Good luck

Our guinea pigs do the same thing. They actually sleep in the litter corner sometimes, and it erks me because they're sleeping in their own POOP. I heard it's just normal and to clean it out as often as possible..

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm learning to sew so perhaps I'll try to make my own fleece liner. One of my guys had a URI a while ago (before the litter box) so I'm trying ensure they stay healthy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.