Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Hand washing...

pixiebells

Cavy Slave
Okay I read up on fleece being used as bedding and I just want to say WOW. I really wish I had known about pre-washing the fleece back when I had rats! LOL! Anyways, once the fleece has been pre-washed to wick away the urine to the padding underneath, would it be okay to hand wash it? I have to pay for to wash my laundry and I'm all about saving money. I think for sure I will air dry the fleece (if i do decide to use it) But was just curious if hand washing it would be acceptable or if anyone else did that?

(sorry if i'm posting a lot today! Just am full of questions! And i'm trying my best to search tags before inquiring about anything ;3;)

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You can hand was to pre-wash as well.
But with hand washing being so much work, I, myself, would switch back to disposable bedding. I hate hand washing with a passion.

If you enjoy hand washing, thats great. But is there any way you can machine wash should you get tired of the hand washing? I read "I have to pay for the wash my laundry". You go to a laundry mat? I think there are a coupla users who wash their pigs' bedding there.

pixiebells

Cavy Slave
I live in apartments and have to pay $1.50 to wash and another $1.50 to dry so i'd like to try and save as much money as possible! But i think i can manage 3 bucks a week or so. Might just have to hand wash if something comes up to alter my budget!

BrendaMarie

Cavy Slave
I always hang my fleece to dry. I wash it at about 10 or 11 and it's usually dry by 5 or 6. I too live in an apartment and pay $1.5 per load, which is why it gets thrown in with towels for washing, after I shake it really, really good of course.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wash mine in my washing machine with a cup of vinegar added in with the detergent. If you have single layer fleece, it should be easy to wash it by hand or soak it overnight in a bucket. Just rinse well. I run an empty load in my washer with a cup of vinegar to clean it out before I do our laundry. I'd just make sure you disinfect whatever you wash it in if you wash in the same sink or tub, etc. you use for yourself.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I think handwashing would make fleece tiring very fast.

1.50$ per week doesn't seem bad ! air drying is great for the environment too :)

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think fleece gets really heavy when wet too. I KNOW towels get really heavy xD

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.