Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hand Rearing Orphans

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Quiet Things said:
Anyway the sow had four babies and then, today, she died. The pups were born maybe three days ago or less and we think they hadn't been fed much by the mother. Really what I wanted to ask was, other than hand feeding milk formula (which by the way smells pretty awful) what else can I be feeding them to get their vitamin levels up and put a bit of weight on them.
Stop the formula NOW! Sorry to yell but you will kill them if they keep getting the formula. It is not compatable with them at all.

They need to be fed Oxbow Critical Care or a slurry made from high quality alfalfa pellets and water (fed with a syringe or dropper).

Go here for all the info you need. Scroll down to "Young Pups" https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html#pups

The original thread this post was taken from can be found here https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?p=54653#post54653

Quiet Things

Cavy Slave
The formula stuff is lactose free, and meant for small animals. I think it's actually alright, the stuff I am using, I have helped hand rear babies on it and with no ill effects. The only noticable thing with it is that at five weeks the pups actually look more like seven or eight week olds, they just get so big so quick when they get hand fed! But if you think its not a good idea... I'm not sure if I will be able to find Oxbow Critical Care in Australia.
Also how long would it take for this formula to kill them? That sounds awful the way I put it but I want to know if its the kind of stuff that will affect them in three to four months or years or the kind of stuff that will kill them in weeks, days. That way I will know better what to do. I'm not to sure that stopping the formula, milk is probably the wrong word to use in there because it's not really like milk except its white. Anyway I'm not sure stopping it would do any good unless it really is toxic. They are only five days but on this stuff I have noticed an amazing improvement, they are so perked up now and yesterday one of them even popcorned, well tried to. I'm sure of it. They are all putting on weight and looking healthy, eating solids now too. I mean I know they can from as soon as they are born pretty much but its not just nibbling. I'm proud of them and the improvement! They are just so beautiful!

Quiet Things

Cavy Slave
Thanks also for the link to young Pups. It has been pretty helpful!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Personally, I have never hand reared Guinea Pups. What I know I have been told by those that have or read it on Cavy Spirit, Guinea Lynx or the forums.

Someone with more experiance will have to explain further.

Katie

Cavy Slave
Did you say they're 5 weeks old?

Quiet Things

Cavy Slave
Katie,

I said that a previous litter I have helped to hand rear were five weeks old but looked seven weeks old. They get big fast when you hand rear them because they don't have to fight each other for food.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.