Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hamster Proof !!

-Emma-

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone I have a few questions about hamsters !

1. Would I have to make my guinea pig cage a closed cage incase the hamster escaped and climbed into the guinea pig cage even though the hamster could get through the holes ???

2.Seemingly hamsters would bite guinea pigs if they got near them is that true ?

3.How would I hamster proof my room ? Right now I have got my wires cable tied up out of the way beside the gp cage but since hamsters are climbers would they still not be able to get to the wires by climbing the cage ?

4.How would I hamster proof every wee nook and cranny in my room ?

5.How do you find a hamster if its got out of its cage and you have a big cage ?

6.I would let it in its ball all the time but can you give it floortime with an enclosed pen ? If so how would you keep it from getting out ?

7.where would be the best place to put a hamster cage in your room ? Would you be able to put it under your guinea pig cage stand ?

8.Do they make good pets ?

9.Where would be the best place to get a tame hamster from ?

10.Can you use shredded paper for a hamster cage ?

11.Can you litter pan train them ? If so how ?

12.Are they fun to play with ?

13. After you tame them do they not bite you ?

14.How much does food cost per week ?

15.how much do toys cost for when you fisrt get a hamster ?

16.What are the basics eg toys you should have in the cage ?

There might be more questions later !!

Sorry !

Thanks !!

conclay1995

Cavy Slave
Wow, you have alot of questions. I can answer some for you, but not all. I currently have 4 hamsters, 3 "teddy bears" and one short hair. I have had hamsters off and on all of my life, which has been a while. (Ok, 40 years.)

1. I would say no. My hamsters are more concerned in finding a place to hide ground level when they escape.

2. My hamsters have never bit my guinea pigs, but as a rule I try to keep them separate.

3 & 4. Not sure what to tell you. I don't think it's possible to hamster proof.

5. Look for them in dark places, usually we see ours running across the floor. If you can't find them, put their cage on the floor with fresh food and water. They may come home looking for them.

6. We let our hamsters loose in the bathroom. There is no place they can escape. Also a large cardboard box will work, but you have to watch to make sure they don't chew a hole in it. We have also lined our bathtub with towels and put them in there. This is a good place to tame them. They cannot escape, but they have plenty of room to move around. We usually just leave our hands in there until they start to get used to them. Once they are use to our hands, we work on picking them up and holding them. This can take a few weeks of daily handling to tame them. We also transport them back and forth in a large cup or bowl so they cannot run/jump out of our hands.

7. You need to keep them away from drafts.

8. They are not cuddly pets, but in my opinion they make good pets.

9. Not sure, the humane society where I live usually has some. We got ours from pet stores before I knew about them. I did adopt one and he is a sweetheart.

10. I use wood shavings and/or the carefresh. I think the carefresh works the best because it controls the odor and it's softer for when they make nests to sleep in.

11. Never tried. They usually go in the same corner. They do not leave much if any waste when they are out exercising.

12. I think so.

13. Ours do not bite. The "teddy bears" are easier to tame than the dwarfs. If you smell like food, they may nibble. Also, wait until they are ready to be picked up before you grab them. If you just reach in the cage and grab them and it scares them, they will probably bite.

14. Never thought about this. I'm going to say less than the guinea pigs.

15. Same as 14. They do need wood to chew on to keep their teeth trim.

16. I would say a wheel, they need exercise and things to chew on, they also like the tubes and things to hide in. They are somewhat similar to the piggies in this respect.

Also, hamsters are solitary animals. Each one of our hamsters have their own cage so they don't fight.

I hope this helps.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
1. Would I have to make my guinea pig cage a closed cage incase the hamster escaped and climbed into the guinea pig cage even though the hamster could get through the holes ???

Even if the cage was enclosed, a hamster would still be able to get in. Better to make sure the hamster cage is 100% escape proof than worrying about making the guinea pig cage hamster replant.

2.Seemingly hamsters would bite guinea pigs if they got near them is that true ?

You shouldn't let your hamster close enough to find out. In the unfortunately case that a hamster happened to get into the same area with a guinea pig, I would find it likely that a Syrian (larger ones) would possibly try and attack a guinea pig, since they are solitary.

3.How would I hamster proof my room ? Right now I have got my wires cable tied up out of the way beside the gp cage but since hamsters are climbers would they still not be able to get to the wires by climbing the cage ?

Hamster proofing would be very hard. I recommend using the bathroom as a fun (supervised only) floortime area.

4.How would I hamster proof every wee nook and cranny in my room ?

Wouldn't recommend it.

5.How do you find a hamster if its got out of its cage and you have a big cage ?

Mainly, you need to make sure you have a hamster proof cage before you get a hamster. Its very hard to find an escaped hamster, they like dark and quiet places.

6.I would let it in its ball all the time but can you give it floortime with an enclosed pen ? If so how would you keep it from getting out ?

Floortime (including ball time) should always be supervised.

7.where would be the best place to put a hamster cage in your room ? Would you be able to put it under your guinea pig cage stand ?

I would suggest a higher level area. When I had my hamsters, I had a shelf made above the guinea pigs cage for the hamster cage to sit on. You can see it in the gallery.

8.Do they make good pets ?

Yes and No; depending on what you are looking for in a pet. If you want a lap pet and something that will want to come out and snuggle often, hamsters probably aren't for you. They are manageable, if you have a lot of time and patience on your hands. They are fun to watch. I don't recommend them to anyone under the age of 13 or to anyone with small children in the home, unless the parents are very careful with letting the younger ones near them.

9.Where would be the best place to get a tame hamster from ?

A rescue! Same as dogs, cats, and guinea pigs; hamsters all over the world are needing good homes. Check petfinder, craiglist, and ask around your local vet offices.

10.Can you use shredded paper for a hamster cage ?

Go with carefresh bedding. Its the safest and easiest to clean bedding, especially for hamsters. It is reasonable in price with hamsters because you really don't have to use too much or change it too often (weekly).

11.Can you litter pan train them ? If so how ?

I don't think so. That would be kind of pointless. That would mean two types of beddings and really.. not worth it. Doubt you could train a hamster to do it anyway. They generally don't potty on you when they are out.

12.Are they fun to play with ?

See answer for #8

13. After you tame them do they not bite you ?

Depends on the hamster. Once a syrian hamster is tame, they are usually retain what they have learned. With dwarfs, it is very very important to continue to tame them weekly; they will revert back to their old habits if you don't. Some hamsters are solitary and will bite if you put your hand into their cage. They all have different personalities, it all depends..

14.How much does food cost per week ?

Not too much. I recommend Harry hamster food or Oxbow Hamster Blend. Petstore diets are mainly really bad.

15.how much do toys cost for when you fisrt get a hamster ?

All depends on how much you want to spend. You should have everything set up BEFORE you get the hamster. For any new pet you get, you need to have a small sum saved up for emergency expenses such as vet bills.

16.What are the basics eg toys you should have in the cage ?

Wheels (solid plastic), Hideyhouses, Burrows, Ladders, Levels...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.