Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool Hair Trimming For My Abby

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hi all!

Well, a few days ago, I took my Abby Big Sis' out of her cage to trim her hair.

She is not used to being handled, as she had Mites (which she healed from after I treated with Ivermectin) so obviously this was VERY hard for me.

I got as much hair as I could, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference, at least not too much of a difference.

So:

1: Is hair trimming absolutely MANDITORY for Abbys?

2: I do plenty to keep the Piggies cool-- leave a window open, put a frozen bottle of water in their cage EVERY Summer day, chill their water bottles-- But is this enough to where I shouldn't worry about trimming her hair?

3: I really wanted to trim her hair, and I did as best as I could. But I want to avoid it-- Is this possible to do, or should I be trimming her hair?

4: Tips on trimming, how often do I need to do it, how much to cut, key areas, etc..

_____

Thanks everyone!

well, i have to say, i myself am one of those "left over hippies". i am not overly concerned about fashion. i have a abby-ruvian and i try to keep his hair pretty shortly trimmed, especially in the warmer weather. i just pick him up (which he HATES anyway), grab my hair trimming scissors and snip away. i kind of put the hair between my fingers, holding it up a bit, trying to keep my hand between his skin and my scissor. then i just snip and snip until he can't stand it any more. it's kind of funny- he looks pretty quirky after, but at least he's cooler. he really lives up to his name, "kramer ( from Seinfeld).

well, i have to say, i myself am one of those "left over hippies". i am not overly concerned about fashion. i have a abby-ruvian and i try to keep his hair pretty shortly trimmed, especially in the warmer weather. i just pick him up (which he HATES anyway), grab my hair trimming scissors and snip away. i kind of put the hair between my fingers, holding it up a bit, trying to keep my hand between his skin and my scissor. then i just snip and snip until he can't stand it any more. it's kind of funny- he looks pretty quirky after, but at least he's cooler. he really lives up to his name, "kramer ( from Seinfeld).

Thanks!

Also, people have recommended the Scaredy cut Mini trimmer for the Pigs-- costs about $15 after shipping. See here bottom of the page (broken link removed)__

Well, I found the EXACT same thing, but for humans, on eBay for about $5. (broken link removed)_

Basically the same thing, but a smaller usable area to cut with.

Would those work? I am afraid to use shears like I did again.....

What ones do you use?

I gave my texels a trim this week. I cut off tons of hair but there's still a lot left. The other one is black and white and it's really hard to get a good photo of her. This one's Pichu... not a great photo because I took it with my phone...

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hair Trimming For My Abby

I used kids' safety scissors with the rounded edges. They're not as sharp as regular scissors but I figured they were a little safer. I fed her tiny bits of lettuce while I cut and had her on my lap. I let her jump off every once in awhile so she wouldn't get stressed. I cut all around and then brush and comb with a wide tooth comb to measure if it was even. I wanted to cut more but I thought she had enough already.

I ordered the Tiny Trim from Scaredy Cut for the Piggies, hopefully that will relieve me of my stresses of stabbing Big Sis' when cutting her hair.

So, basically hair trimming needs to be done and I just need to take my time doing it.

Thanks guys!

I use the Tiny Trim on my pigs and dogs. I love it! I have never trimmed by Aby, but I had to trim my Peruvian pretty much every 2 months because he hated his long hair. He was so much happier when it was short. I just went very slowly, and used lots of veg as a distraction. Good luck!

I just stumbled on this thread...I didn't know I was supposed to cut their hair! I have one piggie with long hair and I trim the back end because it gets damp and stinky, plus when I got him he was all matted and I was afraid it could happen again. Is it necessary/suggested to cut all their hair? (I do not know what type of piggies I have.) He looks so beautiful and I figured he probably like his hair! (Although Pichu looks adorable with the haircut.)
I am going to order one of those trimmers, even if I just use it on his backend. I get nervous every time I cut his hair.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hair Trimming For My Abby

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.