Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Hair problems/weird bone

cherrytop108

Cavy Slave
So I was holding my guinea pig when I saw above his bottom there are al these crusties and pieces of junk all knotted up in hair. Has this happened before to your guinea pigs? I have noticed a LOT of hair loss and a TON of dandruff back there. One more thing, right above his bottom i feel a long lump. It's like a little bit thicker than a tooth pick and about an inch and a half long. I have no idea if its a bone or not. Please help, thanks.=]

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Is it where his tail would be if he had one?

It may be an overactive grease gland but lots of dandruff isn't normal. Has he been treated for mites?

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
This is not normal, usually there shouldn't get a "mess" around your piggies bottom area. Is his poop very wet like? Loss of hair could mean that they is lice, mites, or fleas. The problem could be mostly likely mites. To treat mites you have to take your piggie to the vet and get Ivermectin. I'm not quite sure what the lump could be, I would suggest taking your piggie to the vet just to make sure everything is ok.

cherrytop108

Cavy Slave
Yea, I am going to the vet today!=] Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.