Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hair loss?

Jebusmcgee

Cavy Slave
I noticed hair loss, or what appears to be hair loss in one of my piggies behind his ears and on several other spots. I already have scheduled a vet appointment, i just adopted last saturday so this was initially to get them checked on. I checked GL on hair loss and it mentioned mites, fungus and all that terrible sounding stuff but also normal bald spots behind the ears. Its about the size of my thumbnail behind his ear but there are other spots where his cow licks are. The areas his hair switch directions, I can see spots of balding. Now i want to reiterate that I have a vet appointment later this week but I just want to be prepared and to see if this sounds like a big deal. Thanks for any help.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
All of that is perfectly normal. Pigs have hairloss behind their ears and with Aby's the area where the cowlicks are, are always thin. If you are in doubt, you could treat with ivermectin yourself. It won't hurt them if they don't have mites.

Jebusmcgee

Cavy Slave
ok, thanks alot!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.