Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Hair Loss? Possible Barbering?

CavyCraziness

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig, Charlotte, has been loosing hair on her back. I think It's barbering since I've seen her sister, Sage, eat some of her hair, or nip at her back. I'm not sure and I'm quite worried! Here are some pictures on her back, they seem like a V or circle shape.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Hair Loss? Possible Barbering?[GuineaPigCages.com] Hair Loss? Possible Barbering?

Hi! My Eleanor had this V shaped too! I was hoping that it was barbering too but most people on the site encouraged me to treat her for mites. I think the thought is "better safe than sorry."
Here's the old thread and I have pictures of Eleanor's V. Hope it helps.
Both Eleanor and Penelope are being treated for mites with Ivermectin we bought on Amazon.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/medical-veterinary/69048-confused.html#post602831

I'd treat her for mites, just to be on the safe side. You can't do anything about the barbering, but you can about the mites! Well, I guess you could separate the pigs, but they probably wouldn't like that, and I've never read that ingesting the hair ever harmed the barber.

Read www.guinealynx.info/mites.html, and the links that go with it. If you can't find ivermectin locally, you can get it from (broken link removed), and the syringes you'll need to measure it.

Thank you! Could my other pig get it if they stay together?

Thank you! Could my other pig get it if they stay together?

Unfortunately mites are contagious. Just treat both of them according to their weight and the chart on GuineaLynx.

Wait, did your pig get through it? I'm a bit worried now...

Don't worry, mites are common, and Ivermectin treatment is totally safe as long as it is dosed properly and given to a large enough pig. How much does Charlotte weigh?

I recommend the injectable over the paste, as diluting the paste properly can be a bit painstaking for some. The injectable can be used topically to treat your pigs, though you will need a weigh your pig to ensure you dose properly. See more info on proper topical dosing here: https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

If you calculate an amount that ends up being more than just a few drops from a 1cc syringe, do your math again.

I recommend the injectable over the paste, as diluting the paste properly can be a bit painstaking for some. The injectable can be used topically to treat your pigs, though you will need a weigh your pig to ensure you dose properly. See more info on proper topical dosing here: https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

If you calculate an amount that ends up being more than just a few drops from a 1cc syringe, do your math again.
Ok! Thanks so much for the help! :) Do you have the link to which kind you have?

Thanks! Im actually going to weigh her in a bit, I haven't weighed them in a bit, so I will after dinner or so. Ill post back on here when I do. Actually, Ill go weigh them!

<a href="https://www.amazon.com/Ivomec-1%-Iv...HT92/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1329949133&sr=8-6" target="_blank">Ivomec (1% Ivermectin) for cattle/swine (50 mL): Amazon.com: Pet Supplies</a><br>
<br>
How much does Charlotte weigh?
Thats a lot of money, is there any other kind you reccommend? AND, my scale is a human one, I can get a veggie one tomorrow,... I also just found that she is bleeding underneath her fur, and a scab fell off... Im pretty worried and ordering the medicine tonight.

Unfortunately mites are contagious. Just treat both of them according to their weight and the chart on GuineaLynx.
My girlie's bleeding under the fur, do you have any recommendations of the type of the meds?

I gave you a place in post #3 that carries the kind of ivermectin you need at half the price of the Amazon one.

And when you say "bleeding under her fur," what do you mean? Has she scratched herself raw? Or is there some sort of bleeding lesion there?

Just don't bathe her while she has mites. Water drive them mad, and they'll drive the pig mad.

I gave you a place in post #3 that carries the kind of ivermectin you need at half the price of the Amazon one.

And when you say "bleeding under her fur," what do you mean? Has she scratched herself raw? Or is there some sort of bleeding lesion there?
Just don't bathe her while she has mites. Water drive them mad, and they'll drive the pig mad.
When I say bleeding, like scabs that she had scratched off.. all shes doing is itching..

She could have scabs from injuries caused by cage mates or from scratching from mites. I would watch the injury for signs of infection, and start mite treatments immediately.

As BP said, the link in #3 has a cheaper Ivermectin source.

She could have scabs from injuries caused by cage mates or from scratching from mites. I would watch the injury for signs of infection, and start mite treatments immediately.

As BP said, the link in #3 has a cheaper Ivermectin source.
I found this This Little Piggie Marketplace, and I think I'm going to get it, do you have to use a certain syringe?
[GuineaPigCages.com] Hair Loss? Possible Barbering?

Any small syringe will work. Look for 1 mL syringes because you will want to use only a little.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.