Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Hair Loss: Little Spot

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
My poor little Tatertot has a small spot with no hair below his chin. I would really like to know what that is. He lives alone, and has no companion so it can't be a result of a fight. What I have notices is that when he eats a lot of carrots or lettuce or something, it will kind of dry out and make his hair in a little hard, orange clump, almost like a knot. My first guess would be that he pulled that off. Please give me your opinion as to what it is!
Thanx

Do you have pictures? Sounds like it could be fungal.

Sorry, no pictures. But I do know what fungus looks like, because he has had it before, and its clean and has nothing suspicious. It just, like, the hair was shaved clean off.

Does Tatertot chew on his bars? It could be wearing away the fur if he is.

Yes, in fact he does chew on his bars!

We had a beloved hamster who had a small spot above his nose because he would chew whenever he wanted to get into his ball. Just watch it and make sure it doesn't spread... and that it isn't fungus. Just keep an eye on him.

Thanx! It turned out that is a very possible reason

Ummm.... that hard clump under his chin may be boar glue, which will pull the hair out when it comes off. I don't think dried carrots or lettuce would do that.

How would he get to boar glue? I don't even think we have any in the house!

Boar glue is a term for male guinea pig "stuff" that happens when they get "excited." Google it if my explanation doesn't make sense.

oh okay thanx!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.