Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Had to take Piper to the Emergency clinic

piggylover001

Cavy Slave
I came home from my Dad's today and Piper was making these weird noises. Almost like wheezing. She was acting normal other than that. Eating fine, drinking her water normally, popcorning, she just wasn't breathing right. I called our vet and he told me to take her to the
emergency clinic which was 2 minutes away from where I live. They checked her over, no upper respiraority infection, but she is saying that Piper has a bacterial infection. She prescribed Baytril every 12 hours. Is there anything else that can be causing this? Is it possible Piper could have allergies? Where I live the pollen is horrible. It's everywhere. Everybody is suffering from allergries, even my dog. Piper is only 3 months old and I'm worried about her.

Thanks for any advice.

The bacterial infection is what probably causing her problem. Baytril is usually reserved for adult guinea pigs because it can impact their growth and development. Did you vet know her age? Maybe someone else has experience treating a 3 month old with Baytril. I think youngsters are usually treated with Bactrim but maybe it's safe on those that are 3 months old. Give a probiotic with the antibiotic.

I'm also concerned about giving a 3-month-old pig Baytril. If your vet didn't know how old she is, I think you should call him and let him know what.

There are times when it has to be given to young pigs, but it's not the drug of choice, and almost nobody starts off treatment with that. When it is given to them, it's because something else has failed to do the job.

I'm also curious as to how the vet knows she has a bacterial infection? It's very difficult to get a blood sample from a guinea pig, and a CBC (complete blood count) is about the only way to diagnose an infection unless you can see a lump or abscess or wound that's infected.

Emergency vets are not necessarily competent in taking care of guinea pigs -- some animal ER's won't even see exotic pets. If it were me, I'd look around for an exotic vet and have him/her check things out.

Thanks bpatters. I'm going to take her to my vet today. She's not doing any better. And I can trust my vet. Thanks for the advice.

UPDATE: Took Piper to the vet. My personal vet that has taken care of 2 of my guinea pigs. She has pneunmoia. They're putting her in a nebrualizer 3x today. And giving her some critcial care since she hasn't eaten anything since Sunday morning. Will keep you all updated.

Sending wheeks and good wishes your way from me and the piggies.

I called our vet and he told me to take her to the
emergency clinic which was 2 minutes away from where I live. They checked her over,

I just have to say I adore animal parents like you. One who won't hesitate to rush their kids to the hospital. Kudo's to you!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.