Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Habit shift?

knackchaos

Cavy Slave
So I've noticed a weird thing with my guinea's lately. They're still fairly new and I'm getting used to their habits, but they've had a recent behavior change that's odd and I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this.

They're turning into pickier eaters the longer I have them. When I first got them, they chowed down on anything I put in their little food balls until it was completely demolished. Now, they're still eating what's in the ball, but more leisurely.... I'll put in veggies for the evening and wake up to some leftover ones which would have never happened before.

They're also hate getting too much of anything now. Earlier this week, they couldn't get enough of cilantro. But after a day they wouldn't eat it anymore. Same with red leaf lettuce.

Is this kind of thing normal? Does anyone else need to constantly switch out veggies to keep them interested or is it just me?

They're still eating, as far as I can tell. They're just slower about it and like to eat a bit of hay then a bit of veggies and then lounge around then back to the hay, etc. And at some point they eat their pellets as those disappear as well...

I think they are getting confident that the veggies won't disappear if they walk away, and they know that they get veggies every day, so they aren't as excited when the veggies come. In pet stores or even rescues, veggies are rare treats, so they frantically gulp them so someone else doesn't get them first. Just keep giving them a well balanced salad every day, and check the food chart for different things you can give them to keep it interesting. Strawberries are in season, and the strawberry tops are a nice treat. Once in a while I'll give a small section of banana peel, or corn husk and silk. Here is the main page for the diet section, click on each individual link on the page for more info:https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

Exactly what Petlovr said. They know they keep getting veggies so they don't need to get it in their bellies as quickly as possible because they know it's not going to be taken away, and they are going to get a lot more! My girls are picky eaters as well, if one doesn't eat something at first but sees the other take a bite, shes got to have it! Or they leave it alone until I leave and realize thats the last of what they are getting for the time being. You don't have to CONSTANTLY switch their veggies, they will simmer down and not be as greedy. They will take what they can get. Although switching it up from time to time is good! As long as they're still eating, they're just fine. They probably feel more relaxed knowing they have a steady supply of new veggies. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.