Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pigs not drinking water

slynnski

Cavy Slave
I just adopted two female pigs from a rescue near me. They are adjusting to their new home just fine; eating, pooping, peeing, etc.

However, they have not drank any water since I brought them home about 32 hours ago. I've given them fresh, cold, Brita-filtered water Saturday and Sunday, with nothing added to it. I asked the woman who was taking care of them at the rescue, and she said they rarely drank when they lived with her, too. Otherwise, their behavior is completely normal.

Why do you think they are drinking little, if at all? Should I be concerned, or do some pigs just not drink as much as others?

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
If they don't drink it at all, I recommend syringe feeding them.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
They may be getting enough water from their fresh veggies. The amount my piggies drink changes on a daily basis, and they tend to drink more water when it's hot or if they are eating more pellets than usual.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A lot of guinea pigs don't drink as they're settling in. I'd just serve their veggies extra wet for a few days and see if things improve.

You can check the water bottle to make sure it's working on, and maybe put one right at a hidey if they're still in the hiding phase. But syringing water on a long term basis isn't really a satisfactory option.

slynnski

Cavy Slave
Thank you for all of the responses, everyone.

I do suspect they are getting plenty of water from their veggies. I soak their veggies in fresh cold Brita-filtered water as well. They are super wet when I serve them twice daily. The girls devour them almost as soon as I put them in the cage. So I am sure they are getting a sufficient amount via the veggies.

The water bottles are working; I checked them this morning. They could be drinking small amounts that I am not seeing, but their bottles are still full when I put fresh water in daily.

As I said, they are peeing fine and everything else is normal, so I am not too concerned. I just wanted to see if anyone more experienced had any insight. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.