Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Level of Effort? Guinea Pigs - more difficult to care for than dogs?

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
What do you think?

Personally, having my own Weimaraner I would say she is a little more difficult to care for than my piggie. But of course different dog breeds require different levels of care, as with piggies.

I think they are more difficult to look after than cats though :) And my hamster, and most small animals and rodents.

I don't know. I have 2 dogs and I think that the piggies are a little easier to take care of. But, I definitely think that they are more difficult to care for than my lizard. I guess it does depend on the dog that you have. Some require bathing more than others, some like longer walks than others. Some have special needs depending on the breed. My dogs require baths about once a month, my husky requires brushing daily half the year and weekly the rest of the year. My Saint Bernard requires special ear care and brushing daily about 1/4 of the year, weekly the rest of the time. My saint will walk about 15-30 minutes a day and be happy, my husky can walk for hours. But I know that some dogs don't require the brushing and things like mine do. My cavies are definitely easier. :)

Hmm... Tough call. I honestly think I would say it's about 50/50 for me. I have two piggies, and they can be very time consuming with cage cleaning, dish/bottle cleaning, laundry, grooming/weighing, floor time, cuddle time, preparing veggies/food, etc. I also have two Bichon x Shih Tzu mixes and they can be time consuming also. I groom them myself, and that can take a good 2-3 hours per dog. Then there's nail clipping, face washing, ear cleaning, brushing, feedings, doggie laundry, daily walkies, daily cuddles and play time and whatever else there is.
I don't know, both animals are a lot of work and aren't pets for newbies IMO!

I currently have four piggies and one poodle. its a toss up, shes easier then my younger pigs. ofcourse my younger pigs are very skittish and take a lot of attention to tame them and get them to eat veggies. my older boys are easy peasy sorta lol. but Sugars gets all together about 20-45 mins walking perday, but not all at once. so it kinda is a toss up for me.

I have a Jack terrier - shitzu mix and a boxer. I only have to bathe them once a month and my mixed dog gets a hair cut from me once a month unless it's winter. She doesn't hardly need combing. They have a dog food dispenser and a huge water bowl. Only need to fill the food thing once a week.
With my piggies it's more work for me. Cleaning the entire cage 2 times a week and changing thier water every othe day plus bringing in the food 2x a day and cleaning boar glue. Taking them out every day also having to pick up more poopies. It's all worth it though.
I wouldn't have it any other way :)

LOL Wow! I love this site! So many cavy lovers are animals lovers in general. I feel right at home. :) With the daily cage cleaning, feeding twice a day, water bottle/dish cleaning, cavy laundry and everything, I still think they are easier to deal with than the dogs. But when you add in floor time, grooming, daily talking to, etc, they might be more time consuming. I have 11 animals total and my dogs, cavies and parakeets are definitely the highest maintenance animals that I have. :)

My dog requires two 45 minute walks every day, weekly brushing, bathing (not too often) after muddy runs etc. And of course the food and vet visits for jabs, worming tablets etc.
I'd say my dog slightly more difficult than my single piggie Broccoli.
My hamster is much less work... because he's a roborovski dwarf hamster he does not require daily attention (though I do this anyway!) Daily teaspoon of food, daily water changing and a couple of healthy treats and that's it really. Every 2 days he comes out for lots of exercise in the bath tub. Then there's the cage cleaning, which I can leave every 1.5/2 weeks since he is now in cage that is 100x50cm and he's only 6cm. :)

Let's see...

When living at home with my mother we had Irish Wolfhounds, Queensland Heeler, pomeranian,black lab, and a pitbull. Guinea pigs seem a lot more difficult than any of those.

In my life I've had a cockatiel, budgies, a yorkie and my guinea pigs. (Not all at the same time :)). I would have to say that my piggies are by far the least difficult to care for than any of my other pets were.

We have all kinds of pets. Guinea pigs are harder than cats to care for in my opinion. Our dog needs about the same amount of care, so do the hamsters. The fish are more work than guinea pigs and the frogs are the easiest of all. Just in my opinion.

I have owned 3 cats and a dog in the past and now have a cat again, fish, a terrarium full of snails and 2 guinea pigs. I find Guinea pigs depending on the cage set up can be very messy at times, however the demands of a dogs needs certainly out way those of a Guinea Pig, but we all love our pets none the less so its fine either way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.