Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pigs knowing when it's time to eat?

jasonnovak

Cavy Slave
Other than the obvious ... when they hear the plastic bag :)

I have some new guinea pigs that have a habit of waking me up at about the same time on mornings I try to sleep in. I'm wondering how they know when it's time to eat - if it's by the sunlight, and perhaps some better blinds and a cover would help. Or maybe they have an internal clock like when you wake up minutes before the alarm goes off.

Think it is all of the above, even covered with the blinds down my parrot would start to call at his usual feeding time, my ducks would line up under the bedroom window and give me what for if I was trying to sleep in, in the evening same thing get rowedy if I went past their expected feeding time. On the flip side they keep us humans on a regular schedule so it is not all bad.

Kristin

All mine require is someone to hit that squeaky floorboard near the kitchen and it's a chorus of "feed me I'm starving even though I have eaten my weight in hay, all my pellets and my salad within the last hour" :D Open the fridge and it's even louder...

Read a paper... rattle a bag... eat an orange... breath.... haha! My piggies are "piggies"!!!

Takes em no time to associate the refrigerator door, cuttlery drawer opening with feeding time, obviously one of their primary drives. Not much different than advertisers do to us, show us glittery things, beautiful people and tell us we need this, go buy it. GP's just have it easier all they need do is make cute noises and we go into slave mode and feed them or take them out for floor time.

Kristin

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.