Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated guinea pigs chasing eachother and new guinea pig.

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
im introducing Prime to Skunk and Squirrel and its not going the same as it did with Skunk and Squirrel. So whats happening is Squirrel is chasing both Prim and Skunk, Skunk is chasing Prim and Prim is just taking it. Squirrel ive had the longest and Squirrel and Skunk have been together for a while. Squirrel and Skunk will hang around eachother but eventually Squirrwl would just run after her. Will this calm down and what should i do?

First, read Guinea Pigs Social Life for how to do introductions to guinea pigs. And if you've got male and female guinea pigs together, please separate them immediately before you have a pregnant guinea pig -- pregnancy is very hard on sows, with a high death rate for both moms and pups, and a very high chance for genetically deformed pups.

After you've read the instructions for introductions, come back here and tell us how large your cage is and how old your cavies are. Maybe we can then offer specific tips.

its 3 females and ive read that. theyre in neutral terriory not in a cage. they have a 6x2 c&c cage waiting for them when theyre done. the new one has been quarentined.

i dont know how old theyre but i would say the newest is the oldest. shes very laid back. the first one i got Squirrel is full grown and so is the new one, Prim, but Skunk is smaller than both.

Is anybody being bitten? A certain amount of chasing and mounting is probably inevitable, but if they're not actually hurting each other, then let them be. Be sure you've got several piles of food down, and several hideys with at least two entrances/exits each.

i should have food down? i have hay in there and weve been giving them fruit and vegies but i didnt know i should have any food down.

Um, fruit and veggies are food.

Give it a few days for them to refigure who is boss, second in command and so on. I'm pretty much a newbie at this and only took one GP back to the shop. She was very aggressive and it only got worse. I now have 3 girls and yes, when I introduced the new one the whole thing started over again. The big difference was it only took a couple of days and now you can't even tell that they were ever apart.

Squirrel is really making Prim squel.

Squealing is fine, biting with the intent to really hurt is not. You don't want one of them to be harassed for days on end and not allowed to eat, but it can take several hours for them to settle down.

Why is Squirrel chasing Skunk though? They've been together for a month or so. I feel so bad for Prim shes so sweet an innocent an they're being so mean to her.

The sweet and innocent are always trying to climb from the bottom rung. I know...sad.
If it continues for much longer or is getting worse I would think to put a barrier between them.
That way they can interact etc and not feel totally isolated.

Are you weighing them daily to make sure none of them is losing weight from being harassed or kept from the food?

You said in your first post that you're "introducing" them, and in post #11 you say they've been together a month. Who's been with who how long?

If you had a bonded pair and tried to introduce a third pig, you've upset the dominance order between the pair you had. You'll have to treat this as an introduction of three completely new pigs, and forget about who used to get along with one another. That's out the window now.

Ok to clarify, Squirrel and Skunk have been together about a month. Today i have introduced Prim to them.

Okay well regardless, as BP said, when you bring a new pig in, you upset the normal order of things. Its starting over with all 3 pigs. I hope you at least introduced in a neutral area with no previous pig smells and have a cage big enough for 3 pigs.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

I posted above that it was nuetral territoy the cage is big enough for 4 and has a kitchen area that can be used for the new pig if they dont get along.

So i think Skunk and Prim have become friends because Squirrel came over and started to chase Prim but then Skunk kind of attacked Squirrel and now Squirrel and Skunk are eating hay together so i think the only problem now is Squirrel and Prim.

If they are not shedding blood, not losing weight, do not separate them. It's only been their first day together. Leave them to work it out. Some pigs take weeks to settle in together.

When do I put them in the cage? I've already cleaned it.

If you had a bonded pair and tried to introduce a third pig, you've upset the dominance order between the pair you had. You'll have to treat this as an introduction of three completely new pigs, and forget about who used to get along with one another. That's out the window now.
Good advice bpatters! As Always. :cheerful:
Hurd animals...what can I say? Like wolves, cows, sheep, rabbits, etc. They need a dominate one. Someone who can lead the pack/hurd.

If two or more are fighting for the lead then us as parents have to make a hard decision. One has to go. Otherwise you will end up with a fight to the death. Welcome to wild animals. ❤️

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.