Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pigs are weird!

Amethysta

Cavy Slave
Mine are just... weird all the way around. My kids can go into the "piggy room" and they'll all be wheeky screaming at them... until they realize it's not me. If you have to go anywhere in the house, you have to tip toe, they wheek like crazy at any noise around their room... sad because our floors are really squeaky.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Everytime I start sweeping the fleece, one of my pigs gets crazy excited. He has one of those bucking bronco-like popcorning moves. He will do laps too (flicking the poo I'm trying to sweep). Apparently he's wild for hygiene.

The same pig has also gotten the nickname "turtle pig". He pushes his pigloo to the pellet bowl and water bottles without getting out of it. He's not even stuck in it or anything. It's cool that other people's pigs do this as well!

My favorite "weird pig" moment is with my other pig. This is funny, but kind of sad. I bought them their first fleece tunnel and Numa decided to walk halfway in it,and then freak out in the middle. He kept wobbling from side to side, his butt hanging out of it, squeaking from fear. I think he thought he was being eaten by the fleece! Poor baby! He has the hang of it now, and runs through/naps in it all the time. He's the submissive one, a very gentle soul.

Aussie_Dog

Cavy Slave
When I refill the water bottle, Sasha ALWAYS comes up as I'm setting it back in place, and when I'm trying to latch the wire to the cage, she's grabbing onto the spout of the bottle and is yanking at it. Maybe she's making sure it's securely in place? Making sure I've put it the right way, nozzle pointing INTO the cage versus out? She's strong, too.

When I put a light plate (plastic) filled with veggies, Sasha will grab the plate and drag it closer to wherever she wants to eat. God forbid I place it at the wrong end of the cage. She'll drag all the way to the other end. I discovered this when I tried encouraging the girls to utilize the new addition to their cage (they have an L-shaped cage), but Sasha wouldn't hear of it. Just grabbed that plate and dragged it back into their preferred living area.

KD006

Cavy Slave
Mine plays flip the carrot, I put a baby carrot in bottom of her dish and top it with lettuce, she pulls off some lettuce and eats it then tries to get the carrot, failing that she pounces on the rim of the dish popping everthing out to get to the carrot!

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Mine start wheeking at the pellet bag being opened. I'm gonna have to traumatize them with the vacuum again :( the way the cage is set up it's hard for me to sweep all the poos

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Ok, my kids were just fighting over a lego piece, and when I was chastising them, and sorting things out, Chuzzle decided to add her two cents by wheeking very loudly at my kids. I could picture the little finger waggling and everything.

"You guys stop fighting! I'm trying to eat my hay here!"

cavylover123

Cavy Slave
Haha, I love all these stories! My two boys are on the top bunk of my bed (It's wooden, safe, there is a rim, and the mattress is taken out) and in the mornings i'll be in bed, and if i move the blankets too much or roll over they'll know im up and start wheeking ther little heads off! It's so cute!

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
They are very observant when it comes to them connecting certain sounds and actions together. I find it kinda amazing. They know what is going to happen before it happens, because they know that us humans are also very .....trying to think of the right word.... repetitive in the way we do things. They literally know our schedules, because the average person does everything the same throughout the entire day- literally everyday. I wonder how much of our schedule they actually retain....or is it the only parts that matter to them. My pigs listen for every single noise that is created to complete every task that leads up to them getting fed. And as soon as they hear the fridge open, and the bottom crisper squeak, they go crazy. But I have noticed that the further I get through my morning rituals, the more antsy they get in the cage. It's like they know I am getting closer to their turn. I can open the fridge in the middle of the day, and they don't care. Because they have never gotten food in the middle of the day. I may be crazy, or I may have highly intelligent pigs. All I can say is, I believe they are smarter than most give them credit for.

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Whenever Marble is touched he goes running off popcorning like crazy. :D Oh, he also ignores his hidey. Twix wheeks at ANY movement now and if Marble sniffs him, he whips around at him as if to say, "HEY!! What was that for?! Quit it!!" Silly guys... lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.