Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pigs are weird!

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
my little girls go crazy when they hear a bag being opened XD its soooo cute!!! Another thing they do is when i get up in the morning they go crazy XD "shes up yey shes up!!" lol its soo cute, nibbler runs around doing laps but sometimes i see her run into little Riley head on. Then they both stop and sit there for a minute and due it all over again XD there crazy XD

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Our Aby, Jumble, is the most active. We think she is part cat -- she loves to sit up and bat at newspaper shreds if you dangle it, and if you shake it a little she popcorns around it and then tries to stalk it. She stalks her food, too. If you put down her salad, she grabs a piece and runs backward into either her fleece tunnel or her princess lair (a corner cove that has strips of fleece hanging in front). She'll keep doing that with one piece after another. She also goes popcorn-crazy if we are sweeping around the pens at all.

Jumble and two of the other pigs have 5:00 a.m. pig races, too. Jumble is in her own C&C, and Triton and Oink are in theirs, but they are right next to each other. Jumble will start to race around in a circle and then stop and look at Triton and Oink. Triton and Oink will then race around, and stop and look at Jumble, and Jumble will take off and so forth for several minutes.

Picckalo, our blind boar, likes mostly to strut around in floor time. But when we had a pigloo in his pen, he would "turtle" it. Basically that means that he would stick only his head out of the entrance and then slide around with it on his back, and park himself wherever there was a stack of hay or his pellet bowl. He would even grab the edge of the pellet bowl and bring it right up against the opening so he could spill it there and eat it. We took the pigloo out so he wouldn't sit in his pee all day, but he still tries to drag the pellet bowl up to his fleece tunnel or cozy when we fill it.

Frapplove

Cavy Slave
During lap time, Frappe has somehow figured out to let me know when she wants to eat or pee...
"I need to pee" is a certain little squeaking noise, and if I don't obey fast enough, it turns into teeth chatter-I put her back, she backs herself into her pee corner, does the job then comes forward to resume lap time. I never get urinated on! Although the first time my bf held her he didn't obey the signs and he paid for it...
"Where the heck is my snack" is a soft bite on a piece of clothes (she never bites skin), then she will keep a steady pull until I either hand over the goods or she gets enough assurance that they are on the way. :heart:

Kstyle

Cavy Slave
My Roxy loves to jump up to her second story when we put new hay in and she just squeaks and her little ears go up and down and up down bigtime! My new piggy Calypso is so energetic! She runs super fast around the cage and rings the bell and runs and rings and runs and rings, then lays down and falls asleep very quickly! Cute!!

Oh and yes the crinkly bags and fridge door gets em everytime!

My recently passed Jordy would literally follow me everywhere in the house until I turned around and then she would hide! She loved her mom!

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
I discovered last night that Poppy likes his feet massaged...:D

Can you say, SPOILED!!!

Just had a thought, I had better NOT tell my husband!!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Mine like having their ears massaged, too.

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
They are such amazing little critters! So diverse!

kristlynngirl

Cavy Slave
My Abby screams his head off. Constantly. He must be starving to death. Tho my American is my dominant pig, he barely makes a peep unless he's rumblestrutting at my Abby. They both run circles at top speed around their cage and play follow the leader nose-to-bum. They also always need to be eating the same piece of hay. Or lettuce. Or pepper. And everything is either stole from the others mouth or eaten Lady and the Tramp style.

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
I watched Poppy get under his fiddlesticks and walk with it on his back today. :D

CrazyMom

Cavy Slave
My Dulce is so lazy she sleeps in the kitchen area. I have a cozy, a hammock, a fleece forest, but nope in the kitchen. And if I open the cage to do something but don't leave any treats she will whistle at me for a good while.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
ive watched my American Alice week her head off looking at Xena my crested/short hair, who was looking down at Alice on the 2nd floor loft. then they started playing on the 1st floor. so cute.

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
This morning I made Poppy a new hammock. He climbed in and promptly untied one of the
strings. He rolled out, raced into his Fleece Forest and peeked out looking for the culprit!

:D

Field-of-Dreams

Cavy Slave
Coming home from work is a treat: the dogs bark and the piggies ALL wheek! Squiggy then chews the bars of his cage while Holly, Ivy and Butter all sound off.

My family never showed such enthusiasm when I came home....

kitgal421

Cavy Slave
I woke up from a nap yesterday to find both my pigs fast asleep. Weasley was tucked comfortably away in his cozy. Luke however.....lol 2012 03 11 155850

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Carliee, no matter what type of bag it is, will squeak her head off if she hears it crinkle. It cracks me up!! You can be two rooms away from her in the kitchen making yourself dinner. If she hears a bag, she will go nuts thinking she is getting food.

My baby Harper does the same thing! I live in an apartment with two other roommates and I have to be careful with crinkly bags late at night because he will straight up scream his head off!
Harper is my "weirdest" of the three. He loves popcorning and doing laps around the cage, which I don't find particularily weird but it IS adorable! He does it around the same time I wake up every morning so I always have something cute to watch while I wake up :)
Scout likes to sit in his hay bin, and not just while he's eating. I've caught him taking many a snooze in his hay bin.. Much of the reason why I am converting to hay racks that they can't get into!
Radley LOVES to lick me. He is my single boar right now for quarantine so he gets a lot of extra snuggles. He will sit in my lap while I am on the computer and lick my fingers and palms for hours (like he is doing right now while I type one-handed :p )

I love piggies so much! Their little personalities make them the absolute best pet for college.. But my boyfriend and I plan on making piggies a permanent part of our life together. :heart:

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
I'm still getting to know my girls. Chuzzle is the dominant one I guess. Sugar is the scaredy. Today they wheeked at me while I was preparing their dinner. I've caught Chuzzle popcorning once or twice. Sugar has done it once to my knowledge. They still haven't discovered the loft. but they have discovered their hay bin, the pigloo and the hammock. Chuzzle rumbles at Sugar if she comes into "her" corner. Usually after a spook. They're still getting used to the whole family rhythm here.

KD006

Cavy Slave
Haha we live near a geothermal power plant, they inject water into the ground to generate steam and every week or so mother nature burps and produces a 2.0-3.0 earthquake, just enough to rattle things. Well I adopted mine from a local school in Dec about 1 year old so she is used to this, had a 3.0 this morning and she was sleeping in her cuddle, not a peep, didn't wake or run about...just life as normal for mine!

So much for animals predicting quakes!

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Oh geez, I just found out that instead of sleeping in the nice, new, extremely soft cat bed that I JUST purchased them a few hours ago, Harper chooses to curl up in the corner under/behind it. You can lead a piggy to a bed but you can't make him sleep in it! :p

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=17813]pocketmonster[/MENTION] , just watch those cat beds for any signs of chewing. Guinea pigs and chew through the plastic bottom and then get right into the batting and whatnot.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i love reading all these way too cute stories! they're all so unique, and yet, do so many of the same things. my 3 boys do much of the same things you have already said. the one thing that makes me laugh especially is when jerry does his laps. his part of the divided cage sits on a piece of wood that's a little floppy, so when he runs around the whole cage shakes and makes lots of noise. just when i'm getting ready for bed, jerry will start running laps, and as he moves from one side of the cage to the other, everything shakes rattles and rolls, which just seems to egg him on to run even more!! they're such a hoot!!