Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pigs are weird!

kitgal421

Cavy Slave
The past few months of having pigs has taught me a very valuable lesson: Guinea pigs are weird!

Weasley's favorite time of the day is when I clean his cage. I have a scooper that pick up droppings with and his favorite activity is to chase it. He thinks it's a fantastic game to try and knock it over so I have to clean all over again. Such a snot! HA! ;)

Luke doesn't seem to understand the function of an igloo. His favorite thing to do is flip it over and sit in it like a chair. It's not like he doesn't have a cozy cup to sit in, nope, he just prefers his igloo!

SD530611

I thought this would be a fun thread to post and discuss the "weird" habits of guinea pigs. ;)

aislynn99

Cavy Slave
Bogart loves to popcorn and then run laps around the cage. He usually runs right into Squishy's butt, which startles him out of his run and makes him dive for his hide house, like he can't figure out what squishy thing he just ran into. A few minutes of quiet squeaking later he'll come rumblestrutting out of his house like it was totally intentional. I don't know if that's technically weird behavior, but I still think it's funny-weird :)

The way they dive bomb the fresh veggie plate at feeding time, and quickly drop their perfectly good piece of red leaf to go nibble their brother's because it MUST be better than theirs is pretty funny too.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Carliee, no matter what type of bag it is, will squeak her head off if she hears it crinkle. It cracks me up!! You can be two rooms away from her in the kitchen making yourself dinner. If she hears a bag, she will go nuts thinking she is getting food.

Luna8

Cavy Slave
That's exactly what my two to females do!
They hear the refridgerator open, and your doomed, lol!:crazy: And when I'm done cleaning their cage, they popcorn around like crazy. At night too! They play follow the leader and chase each other around, it is ADORABLE!!!! I know know now efficially that guinea pigs are one of they most social, lovible, cutest, crazy, and weirdest creatures of all!

Thanks for the pics,
Luna:crazy::)

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
They really are wonderful pets!!

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
Poppy thinks he is a race horse. He will zoom around his run and then literally plop down on his bed.

He also 'helps' me do poop patrol. I sweep the poos into a pile then he will scatter them back out. :p

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Shelby likes "helping" on poo patrol also! But instead of scattering them everywhere he sits in the dustpan while I'm trying to sweep the poos into it. :crazy:

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
LOL!!! :silly:

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My guys have a hammock in their cage and, though Frank seems to understand the concept... Charlie likes to get under it!

At veggie time... no matter how many lettuce pieces I give them... they choose to bicker over one piece. It's so funny. Charlie will take a bite and then Frank with yank the piece of lettuce out of his mouth... then Charlie will yank it from Frank... this goes on until the piece is gone.

For some reason they always wheek when I feed the hamsters... but they don't make a sound when I pull out their pellets. :)

Guinea Pigs are strange little creatures.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Marble wheeks his head off at the sound of a bag. Then Twix follows with the wheeking. :D They both like to bite and chase the cup I use for spot cleaning, and when I hold it above them, they stand on their hind legs to try get it. :D

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
These stories are fun to read!!!!

Luna8

Cavy Slave
Thats just what my two females do!
When they hear a bag crinkle or the refridgerator door open, theres no stoping them, LOL!!!!:D They stank on there hind legs too, although Coffee's still learning...LordBrocktree can go on her hind legs completely up and down!!!!

Thanks for letting me post,
Luna:):p

PinkBelly

Cavy Slave
Luke doesn't seem to understand the function of an igloo. His favorite thing to do is flip it over and sit in it like a chair. It's not like he doesn't have a cozy cup to sit in, nope, he just prefers his igloo!

Don't you love all the pee that is collect in those gaps in the igloo? LOL my Dexter does this too and I call it his little toilet because he loves to pee in it.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I could go on forever with my girls! Hahah!
Calypso loves laptime, absolutely positively LOVES it. She enjoys exploring, hiding, running, and cuddling, usually all at the same time. But if you even walk into the room holding Cinnamon she tenses up and looks real serious and becomes silent and still. She just like death stares Cinnamon and whomever is holding her for as long as it takes. Literally within moments of removing Cinnamon she goes back to her jolly little self, chutting along. It's as if she has claimed laptime as her personal time, because in the cage she tolerates Cinnamon fine.

Pellet time is the best! Cinnamon is bigger than Lypso, and they share one bowl for pellets. Cinnamon learned to keep her head inside the bowl and keep eating that way she wouldnt have to wait for Lypso to grab one after. So my sweet little Calypso decided that when Cinnamon does that, she will just bop her on the head with her front paw a few times until she backs up. It is literally thee funniest thing I've ever seen!

mac73

Cavy Slave
The shutting of the fridge door causes loud and anxious wheeks that obviously mean "I'm starving here...that's for me, right?"

Between 9 and 9:30pm it is time for a little running. We can hear our girl runnning laps and ringing her bell. This seems to go on for quite a long time. Then a quick drink before it starts all over. I think she is on round three right now. :) So silly!!!

IlovemyRhino

Cavy Slave
Carliee, no matter what type of bag it is, will squeak her head off if she hears it crinkle. It cracks me up!! You can be two rooms away from her in the kitchen making yourself dinner. If she hears a bag, she will go nuts thinking she is getting food.
both of my male piggies do this! even at 1 in the morning eating chips they squeak and wake everyone up!

melissaferrell

Cavy Slave
Hello to you all...I am a new cavy owner (my daughters actually) and we were wondering when they butt their upwards is that called "popcorning"??? I have seen this phrase but really don't know what it is..somebody explain it to us?

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
both of my male piggies do this! even at 1 in the morning eating chips they squeak and wake everyone up!

Doesn't it make you feel awful to not give them some food when they think they are going to be fed? LOL I will go out of my way to make sure I keep crinkling to the minimum....but so many things make that noise. She ends up getting a piece of romaine 4 times throughout the day aside from her two daily meals. So spoiled!

Queen.anirbaS

Cavy Slave
My pigs do the same thing as yours do with Follow the Leader. It's my favourite thing they do :)

blueberry

Cavy Slave
Hello to you all...I am a new cavy owner (my daughters actually) and we were wondering when they butt their upwards is that called "popcorning"??? I have seen this phrase but really don't know what it is..somebody explain it to us?

"Popcorning" is similar to "zoomies" in dogs. Basically, they'll start running around like a crazy person, before jumping in the air and turning quickly to jump again. It's more common with young cavies, but adults do it to if they're really happy. You can Google search it to find videos of guinea pigs popcorning.