Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Guinea Pigs and Rabbits living together

rottiemominde

Cavy Slave
Hello! Does anyone have guinea pigs and rabbits living together in the same cage? I was wondering if it would be possible to adopt a rabbit friend for my two female guinea pigs. What adjustments would I have to make to my cage? I currently have C&C 2 x 4 and use fleece. Plenty of room to build the cage upwards. Any advice on introductions/bonding? Any other advice (positives and negatives) are welcome.

Don't do it. Rabbits carry bordatella, which can be fatal to guinea pigs. Also, a rabbit's hind legs are strong enough to injure a guinea pig, or the pig's back can be broken if the rabbit lands on it.

Some people do it, but it's never a good idea.

Thanks! Just what I needed to know. We had been anticipating getting a 3rd guinea pig for quite a while now, just wanted to bond with our two for a little longer before making that move. When I read that the rescue we used was getting a little overwhelmed with bunnies, the thought had crossed my mind, maybe a bunny. Back to looking for a guinea pig instead. :)

Why not get both? They eat pretty much the same things, and bunnies are great. I have both, and I'm in the process of putting them all in the same room-Calvin bunny in his cage on the floor, and the Guinea girls in their cage on top of the table (no it will not fall off, I promise). He has all the floor space, and he can be in his cage while the girls have floor time. They just can't be in the same cage. The mere idea of it scares me. Even a relatively small bun like Calvin would crush a piggie without even realizing it.

What about the bordatella? How is that spread?

Bordatella is airborne, so one animal exhales it and another inhales it.

Then I definitely won't risk it. We'll be sticking to piggies for now :) Thanks everyone for your advice!

You know, I was contemplating it too. We started the year off with two pigs, and lost one to stones shortly after taking in a bunny. While my vet said that he has plenty of clients who do let them live together he didn't think it was the best idea. Here's how I see it, if the bun kicks the piggy and he is hurt, I only have MYSELF to blame. And I can't live with that. So we're getting another one of each. We're also going to build a 2 story cage with buns on the bottom and piggies on top, so the cages take up the same amount of space.

My house bunny Rosie has a three story 2x4 and my two old man pigs have a 2x4 on top. Rosie has the run of the room and we never shut her cage.

Bonding bunnies can be really tricky. After Rosie's mate died (cancer) she refused to accept another companion. She's ancient, though, mostly blind and set in her ways.

Great posts on this...yeah I agree tho, rabbits are totally different pets and need to be kept in a different area and enviroment. Rabbit's urine is extremely acidic, and with guinea pigs bare toes and skin, stepping in it could be very painful. (that is why rabbits need a mesh wire bottom with a "catch for feces and urine, unlike pigs."

Rabbits who hop around in their own urine often develop ulcers or even bone damage. They also are very teritorial and have huge, sharp incisiors. I have been bitten by a rabbit, and trust me, its not g. pig nibble. They could rip an ear off with one bite. (rabbits ears are thick and have cartialidge, yet I have seen other rabbits take a chunk out of a mates ear...imagine what that would do to a pig!) With that said, a well handled bunny can be a good pet. But rabbits react submissively to humans, while a pig is smaller, and also, plain and simply anotehr animal. Hope that helps!

Also...remember like I said, rabbits and pigs have different housing needs...totally differnt flooring needs at least.

Rabbits should not be on wire floors, solid bottoms only. Housing is different but you can make a completely acceptable C&C cage for a rabbit. The environment that both guinea pigs and rabbits should be kept in is an indoor one in an area that has active human family interaction. A rabbit should have a clean cage and clean litter box (as should any animal) so it is not walking in its' own poo or urine and will not develop sore hock or bumble foot. If you are interested in a rabbit please take a look at the House Rabbit Resource Network to get some good information. Also check out this old thread about GP care vs Rabbit care (https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/68146/)

I love rabbits, they make amazing pets! If you have the time and space I would conciser it.

I guess we have conflicting information, I was always told that solid floors are horrible for rabbits!

Solid floors probably do not work well in a farm or meat rabbit situation where the animals are typical 10# rabbits in a 30" x 30" cage. Even in those type of cages a rabbit still needs a solid board or mat to get off of the wire to reduce the risk of sore hock. A rabbit should be kept in a cage that is at least 4x the rabbit's size and taller than the rabbit can stand up. Rabbits like multilevel to add interest and something to do aside from sit and wait for their owners to come home. If the rabbit is caged at all.

This is a great link to information on housing for pet rabbits: FAQ: Housing

This is one of my favorite C&C rabbit cage videos: How to Build a Rabbit Condo - YouTube

This is a video made by the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund in England. This shows an awesome example of good outdoor living for rabbits. I could never do this as I am in Texas and the weather is way too hot in the summer. A hutch is not enough video - YouTube

I was wondering about this myself. I have never had a problem with it in the years I had rabbits and guinea pigs at the same time. I wonder as well if rabbits can be vaccinated for it? Does anyone know?

Bordatella is kennel cough, it's pretty common with dogs. Most vets vaccinate dogs every 6 months by a spray in the nose but there is an injectable form. I wonder on the safety of the injectable form for rabbits. It may be worth discussing with an exotic vet for anyone wanting both animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.