Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Guinea Pigs and Oats

2Julia112

Cavy Slave
While at home, I noticed a large canister of un-expired, natural, whole grain, sodium free, old fashioned, unsweetened oats. I was wondering if I could possibly feed my pigs some of these oats, so I quickly punched it in online. I found a recipe requiring 1/8 cup of these oats, carrots, and other veggies. But then, after more searching, I found that oats are supposedly only to be fed to pigs at a rate of tablespoon a day, as they can expand in their stomachs and can make them sick:sick:. I now am consulting my most trusted piggy care site (this one, I ❤️ u guys!) to find out if oats are safe for my piggies. If so, about how much of these oats are OK for the guineas per day?

Thanks, Julia:)

I wouldn't give mine oats. You have no idea how much they'll expand in the stomach, or whether or not they'll just ball up and form an obstruction. Make yourself some oatmeal and let the pigs eat hay.

I questioned the same thing in another thread yesterday. Paula said she occasionally sprinkles a little bit on their pellets. I've done that in the past, too, because my vet said it was a tasty treat but stopped when I read somewhere you shouldn't. Mine never suffered any ill effects from it. I'd offer it sparingly and it shouldn't be a problem. Oats should never replace pellets since it's a cereal grain and is fattening. I noticed that KM pellets' second ingredient is oats which is added as a binder and I don't think they'd add it if it was dangerous to them. .

I wouldn't give a tablespoon a day, but you can offer the a teaspoon once every other week or so. Feed in extreme moderation, especially at first, because they can bloat, but there's no harm in feeding oats as an occasional treat and always make sure fresh grass hay is available to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.