Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fruit Guinea Pigs and Fruit

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I know what fruits Guinea Pigs enjoy. What I was wondering, though, is do all Guinea Pigs like fruit? I have a bunch of Tangerines and I wanted to know if Guinea Pigs would turn their head at it.

I was reading a book about Guinea Pigs, and it said that a fair amount of Guinea Pigs "turn their head at fruits" so you should stick to fresh greens.

Is this true?

I've never heard of that. In fact, the higher sugar content usually makes fruits more appealing to guinea pigs.

Hmm..... that's odd. Good to know though that they don't.

Thanks!

Just thought I should add that fruits should be fed sparingly. My pigs get fruit added to one of their salads every few days, at most.

Ditto. Fruit shouldn't be a daily part of their diet. The focus should be more on veggies than fruit. Fruit can be a treat once in a while. Although some veggies like carrots do have a higher sugar content than people think.

While we humans think of fruit as a treat, I do think some pigs really prefer greens and vegetables. I know mine would rather have celery or cukes than strawberries or apples !! And, since fruit should be limited, that is really OK with me.

In all honesty, it probably comes down to taste. I have some pigs that love food that others hate. My herd of 4 refuses to touch any squash. I am going to give persimmons a try now... I see them at the store often and am always looking for new additions to their diet. All I know is that mine, if given a choice of their favorite fruits, would tear through them first every time.

Thanks all!

I will definitely feed fruits sparingly.

What veggies have good Vitamin C content?

Thanks bpatters! That chart will help a bunch.

I feel welcome at this forum.

:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.