Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea Pigs acting strange?

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
Do your guinea pigs ever have days where they are just freaked out for no reason? We were gone all day and the piggies were in my sons room with the doors closed and no one was here. This morning they acted just fine and was popcorning around as usual when I fed them. When we came home they were hiding like something had been after them but that's impossible. They would come out to eat their veggies out of my hand but they wouldn't come up the ramp to eat them out of their bowl. I checked them over and there's nothing wrong with either of them so I was puzzled. I kept talking softly to them and getting them to come to me so I could scratch them on the head the way they like and they're back to acting normal! LOL Maybe we just came into the house noisily when they weren't expecting it or something?

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Could be, or a loud noise they heard outside. My boys never get stressed when they hear my dog barking, but if they hear another one outside when the windows are open, they will run into a hidey and not come out for awhile.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
So, the dogs and cats were in the house but not near the guinea pigs so they could have heard them and it freaked them out?

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I really wish I had more responses because you didn't see them they were really freaked out! Enough so that I was worried something physically might be going on because they had never been like this before!

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
It's possible. If they are getting back to normal, eating/drinking and pooping fine and no visible marks from fighting then I wouldn't worry too much. Guinea pigs magical calming powers work in mysterious ways, maybe they thought you needed to give them some extra love today?

ETA: Did you by any chance move anything in the room or cage today? Especially anything big that may seem scary to them but you might not have even had a second thought about?

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
One of my boys does that sometimes, is obviously terrified and I can't for the life of me figure out why! I posted about it the first time it happened and its happened once since then. Still don't know why though!

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
It's possible. If they are getting back to normal, eating/drinking and pooping fine and no visible marks from fighting then I wouldn't worry too much. Guinea pigs magical calming powers work in mysterious ways, maybe they thought you needed to give them some extra love today?

ETA: Did you by any chance move anything in the room or cage today? Especially anything big that may seem scary to them but you might not have even had a second thought about?
No, everything was perfectly normal when we left and then we were gone all day and when we came home they were freaked out! They seem to be fine now so, I guess it was just one of those things I'll never figure out! LOL

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
So weird, maybe just one of those mysteries of Guinea Pigs things. Happy they are all fine now though :)

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If I believed in the supernatural I'd say he saw a ghost!

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
Any weird weather? We live in front of a big field, and of course, we live in a tornado-y area, so when the weather gets a little crazy, our piggies don't think much of it. My pigs are pretty much oblivious to ALL human noises (this is probably because I've got three incredibly noisy children who tend to bring home other children constantly, and there is always laughing, yelling, screaming, running, and heaven-only-knows-what-other-chaos going on in here at times). But thunder? Might as well be a mountain lion heading for a porky snack.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
I keep hoping somebody with knowledge will jump in but I'm happy to keep adding my 2 cents to get it bumped! :)

If I believed in the supernatural I'd say he saw a ghost!

LOL, well you know they say dogs and cats can see other things that are beyond the human eye, why not pigs?

But thunder? Might as well be a mountain lion heading for a porky snack.

This just literally made me laugh out loud.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
No unusual weather. I left the shade up so they would get some light they're across the room from the window but maybe they they saw something? That's what makes it so weird my son is usually in there blasting youtube videos and it never phases them. He's sick with a fever and a cough so he's sleeping in the guest room we didn't want to take any chances so maybe it was too quiet and it freaked them out? LOL

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Awh poor baby, I've dealt with one illness after another over the past month or so now between my two kids so I feel for you. Maybe they are comforted by your son being there and his absence might have spooked them if something was out of the ordinary outside. Maybe even a large bird passing by?

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
OK My son has informed me that it is too quiet in his room and you have to leave the TV on so other noises won't spook them! I guess he knows them better than I do! LOL