Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Guinea pig with a head tilt and scaly feet

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
So, this morning when I went out to the get the mail I almost tripped over a box! And inside the box was a small male guinea pig that turns out to have a head tilt and scaly feet! Does he need different care from other pigs because of his head tilt?

Not necessarily, but a head tilt is often the sign of an ear infection. Sometimes the tilt may continue even after the infection is cleared. Or it could be the result of a stroke. But you'll need a vet visit.

He'll need to be quarantined, of course. You can use cold compressed virgin coconut oil on his feet to see if that will help, and bed him on fleece.

I caled the vet and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. He is super sweet and as soon as I picked him up he was purring at me. :)
I'm currently making him a cage since I always have extra grids and coroplast for this reason. I can't believe someone dumped him like that but he is very thin and has nails that are far too long.
Would giving him a bath be okay? He is very dirty and smells really bad. But I do have him in a store bought cage for now and he has happily made himself very busy with gobbling up hay.

I would not give him a bath until after you have seen the vet. Usually with a head tilt oral antibiotics and ear drops are needed. Sometimes the heat tilt is permanent. Since he just arrived you have no way of knowing if he currently has an ear infection or it's just a permanent head tilt.

Did you make it to the vet, yet?

I did make it to the vet appointment and it turns out the head tilt is permanent. The vet said it isn't a severe head tilt and he should be able to function and take care of himself just like any other pig. But I did ask the vet about his scaly feet and bedding and he did say fleece would be the best for him.
But otherwise the little guy is doing really well. But he does keep chewing on the fleece and the coroplast. What can I do about that?

Does he have unlimited hay? Do you have other pigs he is chewing to get to?

Head tilt can also be due to an injury when they're dropped. They can learn to compensate for it and live a completely normal life. Make sure your water bottle is low enough so he can easily reach it and that his hay and food are low to the ground where he can comfortably eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.