Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance guinea pig wheeks whenever other guinea pig is nearby.

cavywheekness

Cavy Slave
I have 4 guinea pigs, one of them had already been through adolescence when I got him, but the rest have reached the age where they all want to be dominant. The second oldest has all but assumed the role, and now whenever he gets near the oldest he wheeks like crazy. Will something like this pass over time? Since they're not exactly fighting I don't think I need to separate them.

Hi! I'm looking in my guinea pig book, (which is very convenient to have by the way!) and it says: during puberty, male guinea pigs learn how to deal with their position as a dominant or subordinate animal in the herd later on. However, this presupposes that they had the opportunity to test their strength against older, experienced males. This is how they learn the rules of the colony. There is no difference between the stress hormones of dominant animals and those of the subordinates. It all depends on how an animal accepts its rank. This attitude just has to be learned.

I hope this helps! Sorry but this is all they had for dominance.
Good luck! :eek:ptimist:

Which one is dominant may change over time, as they all go through adolescence. There will be all sorts of drama in the cage while that's going on.

How big is the cage? And are they all males?

15 sq ft and all male.

Fifteen square feet should be big enough, but more would be better -- 12.5 is the minimum recommended for four pigs, and boars usually need more room than sows.

Another thing to consider is whether the cage is long and narrow or wider. If you've got a long, narrow cage, say 2' x 7.5', the pigs have to pass each other in that 2' width, and some of them can get testy doing that. If it's 3' x 5', they've got more room to maneuver without getting in each other's faces.

But you've got boars, and they're going to squabble occasionally regardless of what you do. Just make sure nobody's being bitten or harassed to the point that they're not getting enough to eat or drink.

So it's been a few weeks and he still shrieks whenever the other pig is nearby. I've decided to keep them separated at least for now.

I've read somewhere that you shouldn't separate them unless there's blood drawn.

Wheeking is no reason to separate them. The only reasons to separate are out-and-out fighting, actual bites, or one pig being harassed to the point that it can't eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.