Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Guinea pig weight gain inconsistent

jordan

Cavy Slave
So, I have had this female guinea pig for the past 2 or 3 months and I have been weighing all of my guinea pigs weekly. 3 weeks ago I weighed her and about freaked because she had lost 5 grams. I weighed her everyday that week and then she gained like 30 grams and so I thought maybe she just gains weight in a weird way.

She is only about 4-5 months old so I know she should be growing right now. I weighed her tonight and she lost 4 grams from last week. She seems perfectly healthy; in fact, she has been a lot more outgoing and trusting this week. I have never seen a guinea pig popcorn so much. :)

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this kind of weight gain. I know that if they lose more than an ounce of weight I should take them to the vet, but she is nowhere close to that yet.

Thanks in advance. :)

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I know that if they lose more than an ounce of weight I should take them to the vet

Actually, an ounce of weight loss in a week is nothing to worry about. 2 ounces of weight loss in a week and you need to "go on alert" and keep an eye on the pig. 3 ounces of weight loss in a week warrants for a vet visit. If the pig is consistently losing an ounce (or 2) week after week, I would take them to the vet too.

Losing a few grams in a week is really no big deal, and nothing to worry about.

jordan

Cavy Slave
Yeah, the only reason why I worried is because they are still fairly young. However, I know that they have ben slowing down a little bit. :)

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It's nothing to worry about. Weighing at the same time of day (i.e. before morning veggies) will give you the most consistent results. Be sure to use the same scale too.

jordan

Cavy Slave
I weigh them every sunday night. I did just have to buy a new scale though so that's a good point as well.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.