Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea Pig War

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Well, yesterday I noticed two of my girls were just being really nasty to each other, teeth chattering, loud squeals, etc. I took them out to look at them and Tiger had a bite wound in her neck (nothing deep, mostly just looked like hair ripped out really hard). Then when I looked at Penelope I noticed a giant hunk of her ear missing, they are now separated until further notice.

Is there is anything that could explain such a drastic change in behavior? Both girls were adopted together and have lived together for years and they have a good sized cage. I cleaned both of their wounds and Penelope's ear is not bit too deep so I don't think it warrants a trip to the vet. I can't find anything physically wrong with either of them. Any advice?

Sounds like one or the other may have hormonal problems, possibly ovarian cysts. Other signs, besides unexpected aggression, are bulging sides (not always) and hair loss around the flanks (also not always).

I'd leave them separated and take them both to an exotic vet for an exam.

Neither of them have hair loss or bulging, and their weights are constant. If one of them does have a hormonal problem it would 99% sure be Penelope, only because she has always been an extremely moody and likes to hump the others a lot, when she wasn't even a year old. I have a vet friend who treats guinea pigs and I will see her this week, so I will ask her what she thinks. I took pictures of Penelope's wound to show her as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.