Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Guinea pig tumor or growth

Kwilliams711

Cavy Gazer
I just noticed yesterday my one guinea pig had a lump on his back. My exotic vet won't be in till Friday and I really want to wait to see him because I trust him and know he won't take me for a ride financially. I have been doing some research and it almost looks like a hair follicle tumor but not sure. He is acting fine, doesn't seem in pain and is eating and drinking normally. Does anyone have any advice or have gone through something similar and can help me out please?

Attachments

20220703_112020.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't tell from the picture where on the back it is. Is it part of the grease gland, or somewhere else?

It definitely needs vet attention, though. And I think you'll be fine waiting until Friday.

Kwilliams711

Cavy Gazer
I can't tell from the picture where on the back it is. Is it part of the grease gland, or somewhere else?

It definitely needs vet attention, though. And I think you'll be fine waiting until Friday.
It is a little bit behind his ear. You can see his ear in the picture.

Kwilliams711

Cavy Gazer

Attachments

20220704_103758.jpg
4.3 MB · Views: 3

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Needs a vet visit for sure, but it's not such an emergency that you can't wait for the vet you like.

Kwilliams711

Cavy Gazer
Needs a vet visit for sure, but it's not such an emergency that you can't wait for the vet you like.
Ok thanks
My daughter is 15 works and is helping with the vet bill. I have always told her that when u have pets u have to take care of them. He is totally acting fine and the other one is fine to.

CarolinaCavy

Cavy Gazer
I just noticed yesterday my one guinea pig had a lump on his back. My exotic vet won't be in till Friday and I really want to wait to see him because I trust him and know he won't take me for a ride financially. I have been doing some research and it almost looks like a hair follicle tumor but not sure. He is acting fine, doesn't seem in pain and is eating and drinking normally. Does anyone have any advice or have gone through something similar and can help me out please?
Definitely do not wait to get it checked out, as it could be a major health problem. Hopefully nothing much, but just to be careful.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He should be fine until Friday. Lumps aren't usually emergencies unless they're swollen/red/have pus/interfere with movement/etc.

Is the lump soft or hard? Moveable or fixed? Soft, moveable lumps are usually fatty deposits (lipomas). Hard, fixed ones can be tumors or other cysts.

Kwilliams711

Cavy Gazer
Definitely do not wait to get it checked out, as it could be a major health problem. Hopefully nothing much, but just to be careful.
I took him to the vets last Friday. The vet said it looked to be a tumor of some kind. I didn't do the biopsy but did have it removed and he goes back in two weeks to get his staples out.

Attachments

20220711_063725.jpg
3.3 MB · Views: 2

Kwilliams711

Cavy Gazer
He should be fine until Friday. Lumps aren't usually emergencies unless they're swollen/red/have pus/interfere with movement/etc.

Is the lump soft or hard? Moveable or fixed? Soft, moveable lumps are usually fatty deposits (lipomas). Hard, fixed ones can be tumors or other cysts.
It was hard but movable. When I took him on Friday, he said it was a tumor of some kind and didn't like it was ulcerated on top and said it should be removed. So he removed it while I waited and he has a fee staples and goes back in two weeks to have them removed. He never lost his appetite or anything, so he is doing well.