Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea pig rescue?

The3Musketeers

Cavy Gazer
Do I need a license for a small (like in a room in my home small) guinea pig rescue?

Edited by bpatters: @The3Musketeers, please don't make multiple posts. Sometimes the software flags a post and puts in a moderated status, which means it has to be approved by a mod or admin before it's visible. I don't know what flagged your posts, maybe the word "license." But we'll see it shortly and approve it or notify you why it hasn't been approved.

Last edited by a moderator:

pinky

Cavy Slave
There's more to running a rescue than just getting licensed. Check to see what is required for your town and state. Some cities/townships have restrictions on the number of animals you can have. There could be business restrictions, too, and considerations such as non profit status. You also have to weigh in the vet costs and adoption contracts so it can be somewhat complicated.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I don't know about licenses and such but you could also consider contacting a local rescue and telling them you'd like to foster guinea pigs for them.They can then help you get set up and then send any guinea pigs they get to you. Once you have some experience with fostering and learned the procedures you could try striking out on your own.

wombats

Cavy Slave
Fay has a good point. I was looking at a rescue semi-close to us (MGPR) and instead of one building their rescue is spread across a decent area of foster homes. Once a month they bring all the guinea pigs to one house and those that were approved to adopt one come and see the pigs or bring in their own guinea pig to match one with it.

Perhaps you could do something like that. It's the same thing as having a tiny rescue in one room, really, and it's a massive help to the animals.

The3Musketeers

Cavy Gazer
That sounds like a great idea! Thanks for the help guys. My animal rescue only has like 5 guinea pigs and I can't foster any of them, but thy said when they need a foster they'd contact me. I fosterd 2 guinea pigs before from a pet shop. Someone dropped them off their and I was just their and asked to foster them. Both where left in a box in the snow. They where skinny and one had a patch of lost fur. Just a small story. Thanks again guys!