Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Guinea Pig Operation - Craig's List

Probably. Besides, it's worth a try.

2000 WOW. I thought having 2 and wanting 2 more was a lot of pigs to look after but 2000. There is no way they are getting proper nutrition and housing if there are that many. UGH.

Side note wouldn't it be cool to see all 2000 stampede the owner. I heard in the wild they will stampede like cattle.

This is wrong on so many levels. I worry that calling the ASPCA would result in all/most of them being put down. How could you find homes for all 2000? I don't think there would be enough foster homes/ rescues in all the USA to take them.

I called the guy, he says he has between 1300-1400 guinea pigs right now. He has them all in 4 stalls that are 4 ft by 8 ft. He says they are all portable and someone would need a fourty foot truck to get them. He says he is trying to sell it all for 25,000. He has an automatic feed and watering system. But he says they are all outside. I called to see the details but I ended up yelling at him :(

So he has basically 350 guinea pigs in a 4 grid by 7 grid cage... Do that many guinea pigs even fit safely in a cage like that? Can they move or even turn around?

I don't know.....but I'm wanting to call someone to shut him down

With the info you got you could call the ASPCA on him. Just say you called looking to buy it, but were horrified at the info he gave. If they get there and it's actually the way he described it they'll confiscate the pigs.

...I'd report him in a second if he were closer to me.

My guess is he supplies them as feeders, for research or to restaurants. I saw an ad last year asking for someone to breed guinea pigs that are USDA certified. They were asking for a huge number on a regular basis. We have a local person that constantly posts for guinea pigs and rat racks. When I inquired about them, he got really nasty and wouldn't tell me what he was doing with them. You might want to contact the Dept of Agriculture in your state which oversees animal related businesses and tell them you suspect abuse. They have inspectors who go out and investigate. PETA usually will jump right in, too, but will want photographs of the operation.

I emailed him a very angry email telling him how cruel this is.. I can't believe this advertisement is still here! Flagged also.. ;/

I just clicked on the link and Craigslist told me the post had been removed by the author...did anyone end up calling authorities?

I hope the ASPCA was called. I agree PETA would be all over this. Those poor pigs. 1500-2000 pigs would be difficult for just one rescue to take in but maybe there are several in the area that can take a group of them. Some rescues work through foster homes. It's possible that some are able to be socialized enough to be adoptable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.