Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Guinea pig off balance, cant walk

Remi & Oreo

Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig's name is Remi and he is about 2 months old, I bought him from a guinea pig breeder 2 weeks ago, yesterday around 4pm we noticed that he couldnt walk anymore, he is off balance and laying half on his back, my sister did drop him once but that was more than one week ago and he was fine and walking and jumping even yesterday morning until the evening, he does eat and drink but we need to hand feed him since he cant move, we did take him to the wet but they Just said that hes of balance and that somthing is wrong with his head, they gave him some painkillers and something for his pressure but that's all they Said that they Will need to put him down this tuesday if he still wont be ok today is sunday... What could be wrong? Can it maybe be an ear infection? Could a guinea pig wheelchair help him walk? Is it a disease? Please respond as soon as possible!

Attachments

1660463420700..jpg 1660463432852..jpg

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
There's no telling what could be wrong, I would have gotten a 2nd opinion from another vet. Is this vet an exotics vet? I agree that you may need to euthanize him. There may be nothing they can do, or it may be an expensive fix, if there is a fix. Idk what is wrong but from looking at him, but I don't disagree he may need to be euthanized.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It sounds like he maybe has something neurological going on. It could be as simple as an ear infection, or it could be a stroke. There's no way we can know what the problem is, but it does sound very serious.

If you didn't see an exotic vet, you need to get him to one. Small animal vets treat dogs and cats, and get almost no education in the care of exotic pets. Some of them are downright dangerous.

But I would encourage you not to buy a guinea pig. Guinea pigs are susceptible to a number of genetic conditions that can cause blindness, deafness, and/or lifelong pain. Many breeders know nothing about what they're doing, and their pigs may be inbred, or carrying those genetic defects. If you ever decide to get another, look for a guinea pig rescue near you. Your chances of getting a healthy pig will be much better, and you'll be giving some cute piggy a good home.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Does he try to get up and go in circles? Or does he hold his head up and move his head in circles? Those are classic symptoms of inner ear infections and head tilt. My Gidget is being treated for head tilt. The exotics vet x-rayed her head and saw changes in her inner ear. They usually need long-term antibiotics, pain meds, and maybe something for vertigo and motion sickness. As others have said, an appointment with an exotics vet is needed.