Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Guinea pig obesity epidemic (or at least it seems like it)

Itsjess555

Cavy Slave
I've recently (within the last month or so) noticed both of my girls getting a bit... Fat. The one I most recently adopted from a friend was already quite the chunk, and now she is just flat out huge. My other girl was always average size, and now has quite the belly as well. I have no idea why this is. I cut pellets back to 1/8 cup each a day right after noticing this; they still get their veggies and unlimited hay. But this hasn't helped. What could be causing this? Is there anything I can do to get them to lose some weight? Thanks in advance, and I can provide more information if needed..

Is there any chance either of them could be pregnant??

How old are they, what do they weigh and what pellets & veggies are they eating daily?

No, unless they have had any wild piggy parties in my absence they can't be pregnant. I've had Nessa for 2 years and Lily for almost 4 months. Nessa is a little over 2 years old (I don't know exactly how old she was when I got her, but she was young). Lily is a little over a year old according to my friend. As of this morning, Nessa weighs 2.6 lbs and Lily is 3. I'm not sure about the brand of the pellets, but I will go check in a little bit. As for veggies, they get parsley, lettuce, carrots, kale and celery every once and a while... Basically whatever we have growing in our garden or that is in the house.

Parsley and kale have too much calcium to be given on a daily basis. Bell pepper should also be added to the diet, if not.

The pellets also should not have any added things in them, like colored bits, seeds, or nuts. Pellets should be given once a day, 1/8 cup only. (which you do :p)

Can you see their feet? Do their tummies come off the ground when they "run"?

Haha oops sorry they do NOT get kale and parsley daily. Kale is like once a month and parsley is a few times a week. They do get bell pepper when we have it. Cucumber is another favorite, even though it has like no nutrition value. No colored junk in the food, just pellets. I can see Nessa's feet. I would tell you if I could see Lily's, but she is a silkie with extremely long hair. In fact, it's haircut day haha. She always just looks like she is floating.

Can you like take a peice of hair where her back feet are when she is chilling and see if you can see her feet?

I could try that. Be right back haha

From what I could tell I could see her feet. But Lily hates having anyone near her butt. Like at all. She teeth chatters and runs away, so I didn't get an especially good look

@Itsjess555 i do this with my dogs, and cats.. so i think it should work with a piggy.. what you need is a friend, a human friend preferably lol, and a towel :p Wrap the piggy in a towel, and put him/her on her back, or right side up depending on where you need to look, and have your friend look while you hold the piggy steady c: I hope this helps!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.