Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Guinea pig not drinking

Stevey

Cavy Slave
I bought Steve my new guinea pig on saturday, his cage was set up before I brought him home and I have both a water bottle and a bowl of water in his cage but he isn't drinking any of it. I replace the bottle water daily and the bowl of water three times a day. Because he hasn't been drinking, I've fed him some small slices of cucumber, but not that many because i've heard that all the water can be bad for them. what should I do?

Stevey

Cavy Slave
also when i give him his veggies, i don't dry it, so he can get some water through that. could he be getting water from his food?

i feed him:
red & green capsicum
some broccoli
cucumber
cos lettuce
premium pellets
meadow hay

missyann

Cavy Slave
Did you check the water bottle to make sure it's working? Sometimes the little ball thing gets stuck and the water won't come out. Is he eating? You could always give him water using a syringe. I did that when one of ours was sick.

Stevey

Cavy Slave
Yes, I always move the ball around to make sure it works and it does but he doesn't seem interested in it. I'll try doing that now

Stevey

Cavy Slave
thank you so much for the tip, he's so far drunk 5ml of water! thank you! :D

Gowroo

Cavy Slave
My lot hardly ever drink water. They will have a little sup from the bottle after pellets but that's about it unless its warm out. I change the bottle everyday but they only drink a little of it. I'm assuming they get their water from their fresh food. The only time I have ever been witness to a noticeable about of water drank (about third of the bottle) was when one of them had a repository infection. When I first got them I think it was about 2 months before I ever saw them drink from it. I wouldn't worry too much for now :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.