Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Guinea pig not drinking?

Guineapigpigs

Cavy Slave
Hi every one my guinea pig is not drinking, should I be concerned?

do you feed any watery vagies or anything? i would definantly be concerned about dehydration. i would take him to the vet if i were you.

also maybe try and put a bowl down and see if it will drink out of that.

I had this problem when I got my pig. At the shelter he drank out of a bwol and didn't know what the bottle was. He quickly learned and know he is fine.

I am just assuming that you have had him for awhile. Give him watery veggies and take him to the vet, somthing is proboly wrong with him. I wont give him a bowl of water unless he has drank out of one before

How do you know he's not drinking? Does the water level in his bottle never go down, or you just never see him doing it? Does he try to drink but doesn't know how to use the bottle?

Some pigs drink way more than others. Just be sure you give him plenty of watery veggies, and if he isn't acting dehydrated (strong-smelling pee, eyes sunken in), then he's fine. No need for a vet visit.

Well I feed him leafy greens, The only time I have seen it go down is when I move the bottle around and it leaks, No signs yet, and I might try the bowl.

When we adopted Penelope, she didn't know how to use a water bottle either. So we had a bowl and a water bottle while she was in her quarantine. Once she moved in with Eleanor, she picked up on the water bottle pretty quickly. Is your piggie housed with any others? That's what ultimitely taught our girl.
Also, I remember reading on the Orange County Cavy Haven facebook page that when they took in the hundreds of piggies from the Baldwin Park hoarding case, they didn't know how to use water bottles either. They said that they added a little cranberry juice to the water to entice the piggies to use the water bottle. This wouldn't be a long term solution but maybe you could try it for a few days?

I wouldn't resort to putting anything in the water just yet. I also would not use a bowl. Guinea pigs are notoriously messy--tipping their bowl, pooping in it, getting bedding in it, etc.

How old is he? Does he live alone? Has he lost any weight?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.