Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea Pig Noises

Tunundary

Cavy Slave
This thread is in short to compile and compare guinea pig noises and their meanings. None of the videos are mine as I never video taped my guinea pigs. I've got lots of pictures somewhere around here...

Wheeking - I am quite happy and want food and should get food. Did I mention you should feed me Seymore?

[video=youtube;rHQYyfl9h4w]

Chattering - I am unhappy and you should back away before I roundhouse kick you.

[video=youtube;yS1gKhEtT5o]

Squeal - Something big and bad is trying to get me. (About 20 seconds in for this one.)

[video=youtube;vu6bzl7fq1I]

Can you help me fill in the rest?

Rumbling - I'm the big man (or woman) on campus.

[video=youtube;NPowoxuNA8k]

Purring - Keep petting me if you want to live

[video=youtube;pjIhLitAirg]

Rumbling - I'm the big man (or woman) on campus.

[video=youtube;NPowoxuNA8k]

Purring - Keep petting me if you want to live

[video=youtube;pjIhLitAirg]

I disagree with the purring meaning to "pet me more." If you notice, that little guy is also grinding his teeth. He's annoyed.

I can't really hear the grinding of the teeth.

I looked at it again and I think it's his whiskers moving, not his teeth. Whenever you rub or pet them on the rump or sides, they'll usually purr. I think they either associate it with another guinea pig mounting them or it tickles them. Try gently rubbing them on the bridge of their nose or behind their ears. You'll usually hear them coo and see them really relax.

I looked at it again and I think it's his whiskers moving, not his teeth. Whenever you rub or pet them on the rump or sides, they'll usually purr. I think they either associate it with another guinea pig mounting them or it tickles them. Try gently rubbing them on the bridge of their nose or behind their ears. You'll usually hear them coo and see them really relax.

Well as I'd stated before these are not my videos. I would love to get videos by other users that we can compile together to get a nice variety of sounds.

Come Showcase your guinea pigs making noises!

These are two videos of my guinea pigs chirping. The first one is a really old video (Twinkie is deceased) so that's why she was in a store bought cage. The other one was more recent.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Guinea Pig Noises

[GuineaPigCages.com] Guinea Pig Noises

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.