Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Guinea pig makes strange sound :(

shelliebear

Cavy Slave
Mr. Scribbles never has liked when we ruffle his hair up backwards towards his head--he always makes his shiver sound, the one that I think means they are angry? But lately if you rub him a tiny bit too hard or ruffle his hair he makes a high pitched squeal sound. I combed his hair to the side in certain patches and tried to get a look, which is hard since he has so much hair, but I can't see anything other than his skin looks a tad red. I don't know if this is normal or not. When I'd move the hair to check or hold it down to look, he'd squeal. He doesn't seem to have any knots in his fur or anything, I can't see any mites or anything. He doesn't itch himself a ridiculous amount, and sometimes he sneezes a good bit, but nothing too worrisome...
What is causing this? Is a high pitched squeal a sign of pain? If so, what could make him hurt? How can I help? I was thinking I might give him a small bath tomorrow, see if I could see anything under his fur on his skin when he's damp. What do I do? Is a bath a good idea? How do I help? I'm worried :(

Does you know the breed of your guinea pig by chance?
To me it sounds like you have an Abyssinian Guinea Pig. Does your pigs hair have loads of swirls and cow-licks throughout it, looking something like this?
[GuineaPigCages.com] Guinea pig makes strange sound :(
If thats the case, your piggie merely is trying to tell you you're causing it discomfort because you are moving the hairs against their natural growth path. You aren't hurting it, but your pig is just trying to tell you it doesn't feel awesome and its annoying, thats all! :) I had two abyss pigs, now only 1, but they would let out little squeaks when ever I would run my fingers from their head to their butt, they would even try to kick me with their back legs or roll onto their sides to avoid my hand :p ! It was cute but not very nice of me..
And the shiver sound youre hearing to me sounds like purring, which is a good thing! :D If its a low growl obviously thats bad, or teeth chattering, thats not a sign that he's liking it either, but it it sounds like a purr and you can feel the body vibrate a little that means you've got a good spot and your pig likes it :)!

No someone on this forum said he is an American short hair. His hair likes to slick towards the back but sometimes poofs out a teeny bit.

And ohhhhh yeah the thing he does is a lot like a purr, sounds almost like when somebody makes a shiver sound and shakes and he goes "burrrrrrrrrrrrr!" Happy face, I thought it meant he was angry. :) Good to know.

I am a person who doesn't believe that guinea pigs purr. It's true that most pigs don't like their hair brushed or petted the wrong way, but if it has been getting worse than there is a chance that it's mites.

i just recently found that my pig jerry LOVES to have his chin and cheek scratched. he'll be on my lap, making nice chutting sounds, but when i start to scratch his chin he gets totally quit, eyes closed, like he's just en-tranced! so, i guess sometimes, when they're really happy, they make NO sound!

I was going to say also, that it maybe mites.

If there's redness on his skin, it sounds like he's showing symptoms of what mites do to the skin since they're blood suckers. You need to treat him now. I'd suggest you take him to the vet to treat him with Ivermectin by injection and have them check him for a URI since he's also sneezing. With heavy mite infestations, you might need more than one treatment. Mites are invisible to the eye so you won't see them, only the damage they cause or the symptoms you described.

I just want to chime in that it sounds like mites 2 (or maybe an allergy?). Mites are pretty easy to treat; I am a new owner and the pigs we took in were infested. We took them to our vets for shots and after the 1st treatment (we had 2) we noticed a difference in the 1st week. Their coats became more lustrous and thicker. If you do treat for mites make sure you clean their cage ever 2 to 3 days, a complete cleaning not spot cleaning. Our vet said its to remove and eggs that were laid during the process. What kind of bedding do you use? Maybe that could also cause skin irritation?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.