Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea Pig is skittish in cage, comfortable outside.

Lauren0625

Cavy Slave
I have a single guinea pig named Ollie (I'm getting another one in just about a week). When I go to pick him up from his cage, he runs around and hides from me, acting like I am a horrible monster. When I finally get him out, he seems fine. He happily squeaks and sometimes even takes a nap on me. Is it just a territorial thing that he's doing, or something else? I love Ollie with all of my heart and want him to be 100% comfortable at all times.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
To him you are a big hawk coming to eat him while he is in his cage.

Jadyn

Cavy Slave
I have a single guinea pig named Ollie (I'm getting another one in just about a week). When I go to pick him up from his cage, he runs around and hides from me, acting like I am a horrible monster. When I finally get him out, he seems fine. He happily squeaks and sometimes even takes a nap on me. Is it just a territorial thing that he's doing, or something else? I love Ollie with all of my heart and want him to be 100% comfortable at all times.
How do you get him out of his hideaways?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Lauren0625

Cavy Slave
How do you get him out of his hideaways?

I usually have to pick up the hideaway and place it somewhere (like on my bed) and once he crawls out I pick him up.

Jadyn

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I've heard about picking up the hideaway (no bottom ) and scooping them up. But I'm not so sure about it

Jadyn

Cavy Slave
The Magic Muffs that are sold here in the Fleece Store are just wonderful for picking up a piggy. Mine have learned to crawl into one and then I just pick it up and hold both ends closed. I move them from their cage into their play area that way. The pig feels safe and I don't worry about them falling out because I can securely contain them. Once I lay the MM down the pigs just run out.

It didn't take my pigs very long to realize that I was going to pick them up and the MM was the safe place to retreat to. The Magic Muff was the best purchase that I have made.
Where do you buy them

Jadyn

Cavy Slave
Thx

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
You can always make one yourself. They're also called snuggle sacks. Plenty of tutorials online. I imagine it's way cheaper that way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.