Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

guinea pig info/help

• Thread starter mafalda de Lima
  • Start date

mafalda de Lima

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I presently have 2 baby guinea pigs (5 or 6 weeks old), I just adopted them over the weekend - I am temporarily keeping one for a friend until she gets all her supplies. And within the next week I will need to give one up, I am hoping that this will not upset her ... i plan on getting another friend for her but not for another 2 -3 weeks or maybe even a month. Meaning mine will be all on her own - will this be difficult and will it be hard for her to get accustomed to another girl pig? What suggestions do you have?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
This seems like a tricky one. If you adopted two babies and they are bonded, I wouldn't separate them at all. It would be easier if your friend got a different piggie or a pair of piggies would be even better. It would definately be less stressful all the way around for this pair of babies. Or maybe you could keep your friends piggie with yours until you get another sow.

As far as it being difficult to bond your sow with another sow, no. Just follow the directions here www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I agree that it would be better to keep together the two that you have because they have already bonded, but if this is not possible it is very easy to introduce a new piggy. If you absolutely cannot keep the other piggy longer or get a new friend sooner, it is ok to have her alone for a while, but you have to realize that she may be lonely and will need extra attention from you and this may be difficult if she is not yet completely use to you, but it may also help her get use to you faster. This really is a tricky one, but either way your piggy will be fine, just try to get her a friend as soon as you can.

mafalda de Lima

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help Maybe I will need to go sooner than I thought to get her a playmate - sow that is -- is quarantining a definate must? This is all so new to me -- Gosh, I suppose I should have thought about this prior to offering a temporary stay for my friends piggie....

Ly&Pigs said:
This seems like a tricky one. If you adopted two babies and they are bonded, I wouldn't separate them at all. It would be easier if your friend got a different piggie or a pair of piggies would be even better. It would definately be less stressful all the way around for this pair of babies. Or maybe you could keep your friends piggie with yours until you get another sow.

As far as it being difficult to bond your sow with another sow, no. Just follow the directions here www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Yes, any new piggie that is brought into your home must be quarantined for 3 weeks in a separate cage in a separate room and you should handle the new guinea pig last. You should wash your hands after handling the old pigs and before handling the new pig and again when your done handling the new pig.

mafalda de Lima

Cavy Slave
OH, so that would mean that my sow would be alone for much longer because of the quarantine period. Why is this done? Is it common that guinea pigs are infected w/ something?

Ly&Pigs said:
Yes, any new piggie that is brought into your home must be quarantined for 3 weeks in a separate cage in a separate room and you should handle the new guinea pig last. You should wash your hands after handling the old pigs and before handling the new pig and again when your done handling the new pig.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Did you adopt your pigs are did you buy them at the pet store? Pigs bought at pet stores commonly have mites and a lot of the time they have URI's (upper respiratory infections) as well. The reason for quarantine is so if the new pig has any illnesses (pigs are extremely good at hiding illnesses for weeks before you notice them) they won't pass to the pig(s) you currently have. Also there are instances where a pig you may currently have could be coming down with something that doesn't need to be transferred to the new pig especially if you haven't had them for very long.

If you bought these two baby girls from a pet store, maybe you could find a new piggie friend for your baby at a shelter/rescue instead of buying another. There are many good pigs that need homes.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Alot of piggies are infected with mites or lice. And alot of them have respiratory problems, all of which can be treated.

mafalda de Lima

Cavy Slave
Thank you - this all very good information. I actually found a posting on our work site classifieds there were guinea pigs for adoption. I will definatly check the humane society for a friend. Do you think my sow will be okay without a friend for a few weeks? I hope soooo... are there signs that I should look for - if a pig has mites or lice?? again this is all new for me.

mafalda de Lima

Cavy Slave
Okay -- I think I have a lot of reading to do -- I am assuming that if a pig has mites etc.... then they probably will not want to eat/ play or be touched? Is this true...? Last question -- 3 weeks to quarantine - why 3 weeks and not a month or 2 weeks? how do I know that the pig is fine before I introduce to her friend?

pennick

Cavy Slave
I would bring her to the vet as soon as you get her for a checkup. This will also give you piece of mind. And if there are any mites, or if there may be a watery eye, then your piggy can be treated immediately.

mafalda de Lima

Cavy Slave
Okay - Maybe I will do that - just to be safe. Any quick signs to look for?

pennick

Cavy Slave
Mine was a watery eye or any eye with discharge and also scratching alot. This did not interfere with her eating or having a good time. She was fine otherwise so they can fool you. Its best to catch any illness early.

mafalda de Lima

Cavy Slave
PERFECT - Guess what I'll be doing when I get home - you guessed it checking mine and my friends pigs for mites etc... i will be observing them for a while...

oh - question - since you all seem to be experts on pigs -- what is the difference between a merino and texel pig... - they are what i have a home.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Signs of most illnesses will usually manifest themselves in the three week time period.

mafalda de Lima

Cavy Slave
three weeks is the magic number -- i will do just that. Sure hope my pig is patient while awaiting her new friend.

thanks.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Your welcome. I had 4 different sows that came to me at different times in about a 2 month period. All were quarantined for 3 weeks before introduced to the others. My first sow suffered no effects in the time before she had her first buddy to play with. I just paid quite a bit of attention to both of them before they were put together to make sure they weren't too lonely.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.